Polishing aluminum wheel

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by gator508, May 7, 2010.

1. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Just finished polishing the rear wheel so I thought I would pass along my thoughts. What a pain! Took off the saddle bags for easier access and went to work~ 2hr later, I was amazed. I took alot of elbow grease but was well worth it. Up close the wheel still looks like aluminum, but from about 2 feet and beyond, I would swear it's chrome. Oh yea, I couldn't find any Mother's at the parts house, so I bought Meguire's Blue Magic, very satified with the results. Next time I'm going to get a polishing ball, should make the job much easier.

2. dbinbc

dbinbc Active Member

Never thought of using a polishing ball, I'll have to get me one of those. I've been putting my Glide up on a jack and then just working my fingers to the bone with some clean rags and a good nano polish. the rims come up great but its a lot of hard work.

3. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

Pictures; we need pictures. Before and after.

4. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

If you let them go too long the power ball don't really work that well it still takes a lot of elbow grease x 10. If you keep up on them it's not too bad.:newsmile036:

5. rklew

rklew Active Member

Aluminum is much harder to take care of then chrome, I had both.

6. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Sorry no before pictures, but if you can picture (oh-oh pun here) a semi dark rim with brake dust and grime that's the before, I'll try to post next time...sorry

7. Porter

Porter Junior Member

I haven't tried a polishing ball yet but I am concerned with getting the polish on the side walls of the tires.

Is this an issue I am making up or do people tape off the tires?:)

8. RetNavyHD

RetNavyHD Member

Worked on mine and still a long way to go, thinking of buying chrome wheels and forgetting about it!

9. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I use Mothers Back to Black or Armorall liberally (with a rag, not sprayed directly) on the sidewall before polishing my rims. Then I use a soapy sponge or brush to get the polish and most of the Armorall off the rubber. NO, I don't get any on my tread.:newsmile040: Rear wheels are much more tedious to get to.

10. lionsm53

lionsm53 Banned

I just found another wheel and had it chromed and sanded off all that rough cast; a little spendy but worth it; IMO.

MAX picture size is 800X600, picture removed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010