free website stats program Polishing aluminum wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Polishing aluminum wheel

gator508

Experienced Member
Just finished polishing the rear wheel so I thought I would pass along my thoughts. What a pain! Took off the saddle bags for easier access and went to work~ 2hr later, I was amazed. I took alot of elbow grease but was well worth it. Up close the wheel still looks like aluminum, but from about 2 feet and beyond, I would swear it's chrome. Oh yea, I couldn't find any Mother's at the parts house, so I bought Meguire's Blue Magic, very satified with the results. Next time I'm going to get a polishing ball, should make the job much easier.

Never thought of using a polishing ball, I'll have to get me one of those. I've been putting my Glide up on a jack and then just working my fingers to the bone with some clean rags and a good nano polish. the rims come up great but its a lot of hard work.

If you let them go too long the power ball don't really work that well it still takes a lot of elbow grease x 10. If you keep up on them it's not too bad.:newsmile036:

I haven't tried a polishing ball yet but I am concerned with getting the polish on the side walls of the tires.

Is this an issue I am making up or do people tape off the tires?:)

I haven't tried a polishing ball yet but I am concerned with getting the polish on the side walls of the tires.

Is this an issue I am making up or do people tape off the tires?:)

I use Mothers Back to Black or Armorall liberally (with a rag, not sprayed directly) on the sidewall before polishing my rims. Then I use a soapy sponge or brush to get the polish and most of the Armorall off the rubber. NO, I don't get any on my tread.:newsmile040: Rear wheels are much more tedious to get to.

I just found another wheel and had it chromed and sanded off all that rough cast; a little spendy but worth it; IMO.

MAX picture size is 800X600, picture removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back