free website stats program Polish Rear Wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Polish Rear Wheel

orourcs

Bottom line, what is the best way to clean and polish the rear wheel on my Heritage Classic? These spokes are very hard to keep clean and shiny. I am trying to avoid taking the wheel off the bike.
Thanks,

Bottom line, what is the best way to clean and polish the rear wheel on my Heritage Classic? These spokes are very hard to keep clean and shiny. I am trying to avoid taking the wheel off the bike.
Thanks,

I have spoke wheels on my Bob and know what you mean. Here is what I do.
First off if you have a bike lift that is great for getting the wheels off the ground so you can spin to next polish area. Otherwise you will have to mark areas you have done with masking tape and then roll the bike to the next area.

I apply chrome polish to the spokes (and in between the spokes on the rims) with an old toothbrush.
Then I wipe and polish with a soft cotton small size towel. It takes a little bit of time to do all the spokes.
For getting inside the hub area, first apply the polish the same way by working your toothbrush around the hub area best you can.
Then to polish, first stuff the whole towel in thru the spokes onto the hub area.
Then take a couple of 3/8" dia. wood dowels, cut about 12" long and work the towel around with the dowels.
With patience you will learn how to manuver this area pretty good.
After you get them looking good. After each ride inspect for dirt or film. Before it starts to build up again wipe it off with Pig Snot or any good silicone based cleaner. This will keep it looking good in between polishes and make polish time less of a chore.

May I suggest first, get a jack to get the wheel off the ground, much easier than polishing one area then rolling the bike to get the next part polished. Get a polishing ball (or cone for spokes) and attach to your drill. It will really save a lot of elbow grease. I use meguires Blue magic for my aluminum rear wheel, Semichrome polishing paste for the front.

I just spent three days doing that very thing. I found that a good cleaning with simple green first and then let dry, then I went back with neverdull and got my hands in there and in my case had to apply some pressure worked the spokes over good, then I took a cotton towel (cut it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips about 10 inches long) and wrapped it around the spoke and pulled it back and forward until the spoke was nice and shiny. the wheels on my bikes had been neglected. hopefuly yours have not been. dig in and take the time. looking at my bikes now the wheels seem to just smile back at me all nice and super shiny. was all worth it . good luck.

I like to do a deep cleaning once a year (with hands mentioned above) but after a ride or weekend, I'll hit it with the power ball on drill with a little polish. Stay in front of the cleaning and it will last all year.

I hang onto my old socks when they're ready for the trash, and find sliding them on like gloves works pretty good for getting the wheels cleaned on my EGC.

Where would I find the power ball? Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Advanced Auto and Auto Zone both sell them for under $20. There is one at Amazon ( a bit more expensive ) that is very flexible for tight spots.
Flitz Motorcycle Detailing Kit: Automotive

Keep in mind if you apply the polish with this apparatus then you will still need to buff by hand with a cloth.

Or you can apply with something else and buff with the apparatus.

Either way you need to wash the apparatus periodically (after each use if using it to apply polish) and let it dry thoroughly.

Be carefull with these things, they tend to sling polish and you don't want to get polish on your tires or your black engine jugs as it will discolor them.

Back