free website stats program Points settings for 1957 45 ci. Flathead | Harley Davidson Forums

Points settings for 1957 45 ci. Flathead

Cant say for sure, but I would bet that if you gap them with a paper match book it will run. That was the way I first remember seeing my grandfather do it. And for all intents and purposes thats what I have always done in the absence of having a correct spec. available.

The gap actually measures somewhere in the neighborhood of .018 and should be close enough to get it running untill you can find the factory spec.

Don't put anything between the points,all you do is get them dirty....always use a dwell meter they should be about 28 degrees dwell,,,,experiment between 27 and 31 degrees. most engine with battery/coil ignition run good at 30 degrees dwell. no matter what you "clean" a feeler gauge with they always have a coat of oil on them and they "oil" up your new points then burn

.020 will be good to go, make sure u clean the points before and after setting them, any oil on the contacts will cause premature wear and arcing:s

Don't put anything between the points,all you do is get them dirty....always use a dwell meter they should be about 28 degrees dwell,,,,experiment between 27 and 31 degrees. most engine with battery/coil ignition run good at 30 degrees dwell. no matter what you "clean" a feeler gauge with they always have a coat of oil on them and they "oil" up your new points then burn
Makes me think of the old trick of using a match from a book of matches to set the gap.

Just wondering,was H-D still making the 45 flat head in 57.I was thinking that they were discontinued when the pan was introduced.

Just wondering,was H-D still making the 45 flat head in 57.I was thinking that they were discontinued when the pan was introduced.

Yes, The Servi car used that motor up til the end:s

Back