free website stats program Plugs Fowling | Harley Davidson Forums

Plugs Fowling

So I am new here and maybe some of you can help me out. I have a 79 Shovelhead. The Plugs foul within an hour of install. Im running a S&S I believe its an E series. Ive replaced the Points and Condensor and the Plugs. Any help would be apreciated. I dont know the Actual mileage. I've only put about 2500 on it sice purchase about 5 years ago. I didnt have my licence the past few years so its been in storage. I rode it last year and it rode great. i just broke it out for the season this year, and I got almost a day out of it before I started haveing isssues. I just put on a K&N air filter. It seperates the cover from the backing plate about 1/4 of an inch. could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
There are some folks on here who are really sharp on helping. I do think you could furnish more detail. Like what kind of carburetor, are you plugs gas or oil fouled, mileage, how quick does the plugs foul out, etc. Fossil

Have you had the plugs out yet, still hooked up to the plug wires and grounded to the motor and turned it over to see if you're getting a good, clean spark to each plug yet?

What color spark should I be looking for? I havent yet. I had to leave for work. When I put in new plugs it runs great for about a hour.

On some models there is a gasket behind the air filer box and if install wrong it will cover a air passage. Or intalled the old filter and see if your problem go away.good luck

What color spark should I be looking for? I havent yet. I had to leave for work. When I put in new plugs it runs great for about a hour.

I've always been taught that orange is not enough power, and white is too much. The spark should be a blue in color.

So I just put on a K&N air filter. It seperates the cover from the backing plate about 1/4 of an inch. could that have anything to do with it?

Depending on what intake set-up you had on the motor before, the K&N filter set-up usually adds more airflow to the intake. That would mean a leaner mixture for combustion, not richer. That is, if the fuel system was not messed with.

Back