free website stats program Plugging a tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Plugging a tire

Depends on the plug. A "rope" plug is not as reliable, IMHO, as a mushroom plug. The location of the plug is also important. If in the center of the tire and not the sidewall or near enough to the center to avoid exposing the plug to the sidewall flex and a mushroom plug is used, I would and have, run the tire until you need to replace it. The guy that does all my tire work is a road racer, holds records at several local tracks and has run on plugged tires, on a race track, with no issues.

With all the money we spend on our steeds to make them look better or run stronger, a plug is only a emergency fix at best. In the greater scheme of things and the infrequency of even to need to plug a tire not replacing tire no matter how new it is, it's not a gamble I would not be willing to take. Would it not be disastrous if your plugged tire caused dire consequences on your trip.

With all the money we spend on our steeds to make them look better or run stronger, a plug is only a emergency fix at best. In the greater scheme of things and the infrequency of even to need to plug a tire not replacing tire no matter how new it is, it's not a gamble I would not be willing to take. Would it not be disastrous if your plugged tire caused dire consequences on your trip.

Not being argumentative; we all have our personal opinions on such subjects. However, I fail to see how a plugged tire would result in "disastrous" consequences. How would it be any more "disastrous" than having a flat? And in that case, what is the fix? Yup, another plug.o_O

I have had a flat within five miles of putting on a new rear tire. No way am I tossing out a $185 tire if the puncture is of a size that can be repaired with a plug and the puncture is located such that it will not expose the plug to sidewall flex and I install the plug; it will last the life of the tire or at least long enough for me to justify replacing it. I am running one right now on the back of my BMW R9T that is ridden aggressively. I don't consider it a gamble but, if one does, a new tire is the fix; each to his own.;)

Not being argumentative; we all have our personal opinions on such subjects. However, I fail to see how a plugged tire would result in "disastrous" consequences. How would it be any more "disastrous" than having a flat? And in that case, what is the fix? Yup, another plug.o_O

I have had a flat within five miles of putting on a new rear tire. No way am I tossing out a $185 tire if the puncture is of a size that can be repaired with a plug and the puncture is located such that it will not expose the plug to sidewall flex and I install the plug; it will last the life of the tire or at least long enough for me to justify replacing it. I am running one right now on the back of my BMW R9T that is ridden aggressively. I don't consider it a gamble but, if one does, a new tire is the fix; each to his own.;)
Like most repairs on a motorcycle it is only as good as the one performing it. I would not want to trust someone who MAY repair tire properly then be at speed and a full load and plug fail causing rapid air loss instead of a slow leak as if you picked up a nail or screw. The point I was conveying is we have no problem spending thousands on a bike for any reason, then so with the infrequency of even getting a flat replacing the tire is the only way to go in my opinion. Yes, I have experienced nails in two sport bike tires on the same bike with in a couple of months and the first only being a week old. Both times the tire were replaced.

Like I said, we all have our own ways of dealing with these issues based on our own experiences; you just deal with this one differently than I do. I can count the number of flats I have had on one hand but two of those flats were caused by something in the roadway that punctured the tire. The air loss could be described as "rapid" but I knew the tire was losing air and had plenty of time to pull to the side of the road and plug the tire. That tire is still in service and will be until I wear it out; I don't get much more than 6K miles out of rear tire; 8K at the most.:eek: I wish we were neighbors; I might take those new flat tires off your hands.................;)

Personal preference gentleman, There's a reason dealerships won't plug them and it's not just to sell a tire but more for the liability and I can't blame them.
I say if you feel comfortable riding on a plugged tire go for it, I choose not with only 2 wheels under me.

Last edited:
I don't get much more than 6K miles out of rear tire; 8K at the most.:eek:
As I have said many times before. Mods to the engine of bike directly correlates to excessive rear tire wear do to the new connection to the loud handle.o_O

I don't trust plugs in any tires. :( I'm old school, but that is just me. I definitely wouldn't want a plug on a bike tire.;)

But I agree with Jeff on this. :)

And then there is Dolt...:) I can't compete with his knowledge & experience. :D My dad drove a truck for his business, and way back when, he would not let us put plugs in tires and I guess that stuck with me.

Guys, I don't disagree that replacing a tire rather than plug a tire eliminates any possibility of dealing with a failed plug; it does. My original post in this thread was not intended to start a debate; just sharing my experience and thoughts on the matter.

I have complete confidence in using a properly installed mushroom plug to repair a tire that, in my judgement is repairable with a plug and I will ride that tire until I have reason not to. Additionally, it's not about saving the cost of buying a new tire; I just have confidence in that method of repairing a flat and see no reason to replace a tire that is serviceable.

I know I am swimming upstream on this one but completely understand why some of you, dealers and independent shops won't repair a tire with a plug or patch; no argument from me, I just see this one differently.;)

In 1978 I had a rapid deflation of rear tyre I was doing 80mph at the time had a lot of gear on the bike and a friend on the pillion got bike down to about 50 before it dumped us I bounce off the side of a bus as I slid down the centre lane of the motorway old bike was in the fast lane laying on its side engine still running friend was in the central reservation against a barrier screaming (Had not been wearing gloves scraped some skin off his hands)
we pulled bike to the shoulder pulled the back wheel and patched the tube I found no penetration of the tyre got about 2 miles and went flat again got to shoulder safely
I spoke to a more knowledgeable person later he suspected that one of the steel bands in the tyre had snapped and once the tyre heated it flexed and penetrated the tube
A new tyre was fitted and a few other repairs done and the bike stayed with me for a wee while after that
I have only had one rapid deflation since then I got bike to the shoulder without incident I was a member of the AA (automobile association) got the tyre replaced with their assistance
The pain over the next few weeks from the 1998 incident focused my awareness to tyre maintenance and if in doubt I replace as I always have fitted my own tyres apart from during the mentioned incidents the cost of replacing the tyre for me is the cost of the tyre only

Brian

Back