free website stats program Plugging a tire | Harley Davidson Forums

Plugging a tire

Wayne R

I have a almost brand new tire on my 2002 Roadking bought last summer, i took a roofing nail in the rear tire, HD won't patch or plug the tire, i plugged it myself, i just hate buying a new tire when this tire probably still has 10,000 miles left on it, I am planning a trip to Myrtle Beach next month
what is the general opinion on plugging motorcycle tires?

Dealers won't plug them for safety and liability issues. Depending on what rims you have a tube may be a option
I'm not sure i'd trust a plug with only 2 wheels under me. JMHO.

I have run a plug on a newer tire till I needed to replace the tire. The hole was between the treads.

There are lots of viable solutions, patch on the inside & install a tube, etc. I'm cheap, but I will only ride on a patched tire until I get to a shop or home.

Odds are the plug will last the life of the tire.Most motorcycle tires have many plies between the air and the rubber.If the rubber was gone You could probably ride the plies for many miles.The density of the plies make it difficult to plug.The real question is;Would You feel safe riding on a plugged tire at 80 miles an hour?

Some tire manufacturers are OK with plugs and some aren't. I think Avon and Mettezler are. The only type plug they recommend is the mushroom type. I do understand that the tire isn't worn but you're really taking a chance with the integrity of the tire. Your ride you decide but I just can't ride any distance on a plugged tire. I've had a flat at speed and it's not much fun.

My dealership plugged mine with about 5k on it.Never had a problem,this was with a 2012 Heritage.It was kind of costly from what I recall.I mean it was less than a new tire,but it wasn't like $25 or anything.

My dealership plugged mine with about 5k on it.Never had a problem,this was with a 2012 Heritage.It was kind of costly from what I recall.I mean it was less than a new tire,but it wasn't like $25 or anything.

That surprises me, that's 1 heck of a liability for them.

Plugging a tire is tricky, lots of variables, I have done it in the past If the hole is no larger than 5/16 and not at an angle you may have good results keeping in mind this can cause separation of the plies

I would use a plug as a get me home repair in the past I have patched tubes and usually that was not a permanent solution as a motorcycle tyre takes a lot of abuse and my life is worth more to me than the cost of a tyre

Brian

Back