free website stats program Plug melted on headlamp | Harley Davidson Forums

Plug melted on headlamp

Hey guys ! last week I took my bike out for a spin and when I came home and parked it in the garage I noticed an oder of plastic burning . I traced it to the headlamp housing I removed the lamp an discovered that the negative and low beam side of plug where melted any Ideas what may have caused this any input would help thank you

Usually that's an indicator of a loose connection. I would replace the socket & be sure to use die-electric grease on the new one. If it transfered too much heat to the bulb, it would be wise to change it too.

Like Harry said, a loose connection causes resistance in the circuit which in turn causes heat. Replace the plug and if you reuse the end terminals over again, make sure to give them a little squeeze with pliers to tighten up the connection to the bulb.

Has bulb been switched out to a brighter bulb???? Like a 85/100. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm with DBMG on this one. Check the bulb. I don't want to say how I know either.

The plug smoked because of a bad connection, 12V times 5A = 60W...a lot of power for a small pin, arcing causes less conductive carbon. With that local heating, even 3W in such a tiny spot is HOT...if you have a bathroom nightlight at home, you know what I'm talking about. Use dielectric grease in the pins, but don't get it on the bulb. I recommend replacing that headlight plug and use Glider's replacement bulb...German Auto find. At $13 for a high intensity bulb 80/100W is a great deal.

Thanks guys I will do that I went to harley today and picked up the replacement plug and new connectors I am not going to use the old ones better safe than sorry!!

Back