free website stats program Pls I need clarification about exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Pls I need clarification about exhaust

shrini23

I've a 2009 FXDC which has the stock mufflers to it.
I want to go for a louder sound. I see a lot of exhaust that is available in the market.
Here are my few questions as I talked to some harley owners.

What is the best available exhaust that sounds loud and awesome for my 2009 FXDC?
I'm totally torn apart whether to go for a total exhaust change or if I go for a slip-ons will I get the same sound effect?

If I change my exhaust do I really need to get a stage I kit?

Please clarify my doubts and I want to go for a new exhaust that should wake up my neighours when I start my motorcycle (just kiddin :D )

Here's my story:

I also wanted a more aggressive sound from my exhaust. I wasn't looking to do a full Stage I if I didn't have to.

I installed a set of Rush 2.0 slipon mufflers. Did a dyno before & after. The a/f ratio was the same. So either the ECM made adjustments or the slipons had no effect.

The sound was much better than stock. But.....I wasn't happy with the chrome on the Rush muffs. So.....now I'm running Khrome Werks HP+. Like the sound even better than the Rush and the chrome finish is excellent.

Muffler sounds are very subjective. What I like isn't gonna be what the next guy may like. To be sure, you really need to actually hear the mufflers on a bike like yours to tell if it's the sound you want. Otherwise, you may have to spend some $$$ finding your particular sound.

Good luck.

Thanks for info.
I was more inclined towards VnH longshots staggered or 2 n 2 big radius.
If I go for any one of these exhaust do I need to upgrade to a stage I kit? or just leave the factory system on it?

I checked with the dealer and to change exhaust and rejett it, he told me I would be looking to spend around 1500$ bucks which is quite a lot considering I just purchased my Harley

I'd be interested to see your dealer "rejett" an '09......maybe he meant to say download a new map for the ECM to adjust fuel for the EFI.

Anyway....whether or not you do a full Stage I (air cleaner, exhaust, fuel management/download) is totally up to you.

In my case I determined the slip-on mufflers alone satisfied my needs.

What is the best available exhaust that sounds loud and awesome for my 2009 FXDC?
I'm totally torn apart whether to go for a total exhaust change or if I go for a slip-ons will I get the same sound effect?

If I change my exhaust do I really need to get a stage I kit?

Please clarify my doubts and I want to go for a new exhaust that should wake up my neighours when I start my motorcycle (just kiddin :D )

You can add the slip ons without doing any more if it's just more sound that you want. Cycle shack makes some nice slipons for your bike and you do not need a full system. It's advisable to add some fuel regardless of what anyone tells you about the adaptive fuel on the new bikes. It only will adjust so much and only back to the factory lean setting again.
The stage 1 isn't mandatory but it allows the engine to breathe a bit better and combined with the slip ons and some added fuel like with the TFI unit, you will see about 10-12 HP more and affitional torque too.

Motorcycle Fuel Injection Kits and Electronic Fuel Injection Systems - EFI

Discount Bikers Choice Harley Parts - Cycle Shack Mufflers

If I'm going for the slip-on can you please tell me which one's are the best for my bike
Should I buy a SE slip on or VnH or python...

My only criteria is that I've decided to buy a slip on so can you please tell me which one gives a really loud output since I'm really new to this one

Thanks for info.
I was more inclined towards VnH longshots staggered or 2 n 2 big radius.
If I go for any one of these exhaust do I need to upgrade to a stage I kit? or just leave the factory system on it?

I checked with the dealer and to change exhaust and rejett it, he told me I would be looking to spend around 1500$ bucks which is quite a lot considering I just purchased my Harley

I would double check that $1500 out the door price, seems a bit low to me. between the exhaust, the tuner, and stage 1 air filter and the labor to install and tune you should be looking closer to $2k. If you buy it all and install it yourself you will save a nice bit of money, but MAY run into warranty issues. When I had mine done the Stealer told me that if I had it done with 60 days of purchase of the bike the tune, tuner and their work would be covered by my factory and extended warranty. The only thing the factory warranty would not cover was the exhaust itself since it is not made by Harley. That is why I chose to have them do it, or else I would have done it myself as it is a very easy install and tune. Just my $.02 on the that. As far as sound goes, it is really what you like. I put Rush slip ons on my Wife's 1200 Sportster and I think they sound great. I went with the V&H Big Radius on my bike with the stage 1 kit and tune and am very happy with both sound and performance.

OK. Today I went to my HD dealership and spoke to the parts guy. He told me that even if I buy a slip-on its better to remap the fuel system.

One of my buddy told me that if I go for a slip-on I dont need to change the fuel system.Can someone pls clarify me on this?

Also to change the slip-on and remap the fuel system the guy at HD told me that it's gonna cost 1200$.Is this price reasonable or expensive or can I get it done somewhat cheaper near Dallas,TX

Shrini, did you get this done, I'm getting python slip ons and was told by hd, I don't need a remap, what did you do?

Back