free website stats program Please watch | Harley Davidson Forums

Please watch

FLIPBEL

Is this normal? I video taped the start up and it made this ugly clunk sound. I started it up again and it did not do it (as you can see on the video). This is the second time it does it since I took it for the 10,000 mile service. The only thing different they did at the service was an updated stock calibration for driveabilty conditions (do not know what that is all about and stupid me did not ask).

YouTube - 1

Thanks

No it did not. I was also thinking timing. I wish I knew what that update is about.

If it were an update to the ECU, it can be one of two things, timing or fuel.
If it was fine until the dealer touched it, then bring it back to them and share your concerns. If they keep trying to sell you on the "thats what they all do line" just make sure you get it in writing that you are not happy, bike was not doing this before, and so on. I would start from there though.

I would go back right away and have a talk with them .
I know dealers get bad mouthed all the time but I have found most shops know what they are doing.
Just explain it to them and let them know it had not problems before the update.
If you have a copy of the work order it may give you some insight as to what was done.

Will do that on Wed. of next week. I noticed also that it starts like its not fuel injected. It will cranks a bit longer then before, and then it starts.

yeahp it was to the ecu

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do that on Wed. of next week. I noticed also that it starts like its not fuel injected. It will cranks a bit longer then before, and then it starts.

yeahp it was to the ecu
I was thinking that YOU MIGHT have your Hand Turning the throttle ON just a Bit at the start???????

DO YOU keep you Hand TOTALLY OFF the throttle when starting?? (I DO)

IF THE Slightest bit of throttle (accidentally) is given this may be the result.....

I only touch the starter Button,,,, After it goes thru all its functions.
Let the BIKE start on its own, and NO throttle EVEN after it has started and is warming ON ITS OWN.(.)

The dying noise to me is normal OFF at a fast idle, After trying to start then died..

make any sense?

signed....BUBBIE

Could this noise be arching? I remember reading about our battery terminals coming loose or not properly tightened. Only takes a second to check. Good luck!

On a occasion my o8 does the same thing. I have 18,000 miles with no ill effect. As others have suggested go and talk to dealer as they might be able to explain what update included.

Sounds like the compensator . Do a SE compensator upgrade and it should take care of the problem .

Sounds like the compensator . Do a SE compensator upgrade and it should take care of the problem .

I'll second this one. 3000 miles on my SE Compensator and loving it. I mean really lovin' it. :D Although, keeping an eye on the results of the fretting, grooves made for oil getting in, etc.

Back