free website stats program please tell me what i'm doing wrong | Harley Davidson Forums

please tell me what i'm doing wrong

capnmwf

I installed a Garmin GPS on my 14' RK. I bought the HD touring elec. connection update kit,
# 69200722, which plugs into access. plug under left side cover, went fine, no problem. I then plugged HD supplemental 12v power cable (part # 9184397) into the Deutsch plug, then hard wired my GPS red wire to orange wire, GPS blk. wire to blk. wire coming out of said Deutsch plug. When i turn bike ignition on, GPS powers up, whether access. toggle switch is on or off. SO then, i unplugged Deutsch from ist plug, & hard wired GPS to red & blk. wires which come off 1st plug (in addition to Deutsch plug). Now when i turn ignition on, unit
doesn't power up until i turn it on. this is good. TEH ONLY thing bugging me, the access. toggle still doesn't need to be on for this to work. what am i missing here ? thanks for the help. Sorry if this is long, tried to condense.

I have a Garmin Harley 665 wired in correctly to my 13 limited & when i turn the ignition switch to on the GPS powered up , their suppose to be that way for convience . If you want to use that toggle switch it has to be hard wired in front or out the fuse box prior to the orange wire .Dont know why you want a toggle switch when you have an off & on switch on the GPS head unit .

If it doesn't power up when the ignition switch is turned on and the toggle doesn't have any effect either, are you sure the GPS isn't running on its internal battery?

Back