please tell me what i'm doing wrong

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by capnmwf, Dec 1, 2014.

1. capnmwf

capnmwf Member

I installed a Garmin GPS on my 14' RK. I bought the HD touring elec. connection update kit,
    # 69200722, which plugs into access. plug under left side cover, went fine, no problem. I then plugged HD supplemental 12v power cable (part # 9184397) into the Deutsch plug, then hard wired my GPS red wire to orange wire, GPS blk. wire to blk. wire coming out of said Deutsch plug. When i turn bike ignition on, GPS powers up, whether access. toggle switch is on or off. SO then, i unplugged Deutsch from ist plug, & hard wired GPS to red & blk. wires which come off 1st plug (in addition to Deutsch plug). Now when i turn ignition on, unit
    doesn't power up until i turn it on. this is good. TEH ONLY thing bugging me, the access. toggle still doesn't need to be on for this to work. what am i missing here ? thanks for the help. Sorry if this is long, tried to condense.

2. kstrohs57

kstrohs57 Active Member

I have a Garmin Harley 665 wired in correctly to my 13 limited & when i turn the ignition switch to on the GPS powered up , their suppose to be that way for convience . If you want to use that toggle switch it has to be hard wired in front or out the fuse box prior to the orange wire .Dont know why you want a toggle switch when you have an off & on switch on the GPS head unit .

3. capnmwf

capnmwf Member

well, you're right, it works fine, just curious about the switch. thanks.

4. Jennmarr

Jennmarr Junior Member

If it doesn't power up when the ignition switch is turned on and the toggle doesn't have any effect either, are you sure the GPS isn't running on its internal battery?

5. capnmwf

capnmwf Member

good point, i'll check that.