free website stats program Please i need mechanical help!!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Please i need mechanical help!!!!

Ive called a few dealer/mechanics, and you know they are all about the money and worst case senario. I am trying to find a dhop manual for the police version of this bike so I can be a little more informed before I go in. I hope to find a good mechanic.

I found a few places to take my bike to, this one shop has certified harley mechanics working at it and they are not a dealer. The problem is, With the Boogie and Sturgis comming up he is swamped and cant get me in for two weeks. So it looks like I will have to reschedule my vacation for a later date and just miss my trip down 66 this year.. I would like to pick your brains about head gaskets. I have been told that the metal base gaskets are the best, but if that is so then why do so many shops use the composite gaskets?

You spoke of head gasket and the base gasket.There is no cylinder base gasket on a Twin Cam, it has an O-Ring.Unless you are running a high HP motor I would go back with the HD stock Head gasket. You will need to replace Head gasket and the Base O-Ring. On the Evo's they had a problem of pulling the cylinder studs out and causing the head gasket to blow. I haven't heard of this problem with the Twin Cam motors. May want to have your mech. check that out.

Your POLICE Should be 103 AND automatic compression releases (ACR).

They are located in/on each cylinder head.
There is a wire that runs from each head (ACR) to a connection.

IF it is not a blown out thru the ACR valve, but a head gasket, Either Is an Easy fix...
Just finding a shop seems to be your problem right now.

No, the Dobeck unit had nothing to do with the problem you are having now.:D

The Two other head bolts are Under the valve covers area and not available until the chrome do dads come off the top of the motor... Not all that easy for a LOOK at them.

Your Removing the tank will do nothing but tell IF you have ACR's.
(or get it ready for tearing down)

Good luck on finding a shop OR A Qualified mechanic not busy OR a Knowledgeable friend to get it done.

SO KNOWING what it is is the key... Low compression Check in that cylinder is the best way to be sure it is a leak.

(MANY good post above from our members here)

signed....BUBBIE

UPDATE ON THE ROADKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finally got my bike into a shop. I havent dealt with this guy before, so I hope he is honest and does a good job. We fired the bike for him and he went around the heads to listen to it and said "it shure sounds like a leak in the head some where. He also said its possible it could be the (ACR's), but he would make shure its properly diagnosed and a phone call made to me before he starts anything. It will be about a week before he starts because of a few bikes in line before me but he wanted me to bring it in so I could be in line. I feel weird saying this but it upset me leaving my bike there. It was like I was dropping off one of my children at the hospital to have surgery and not staying to protect them. Maybe Im just crazy, I just havent found a whole lot of trust worthy mechanics around here that do a good job and dont take all of you wages that you have earned. With that said I am nervous and hopeful that it will be on the road disturbing the peace soon.:bigsmiley15:
Thanks for all the support and will update as soon as I get more info.

Wow what an excellent thread. Got in on this late, but it's packed with info.

I thought Jim Harvey was on to it from the start but then they said the police models didn't have comp release (?) But now maybe it does (?).

I think a compression test might be in order here

Bingo, very good reply.

That & a leak down test. But it does sound like a headbolt. A hesitation could be a lean running condition. Wouldn't think 30 miles would cause a problem unless it was way too lean. How long ago did you do the build? What type of head gasket did you use? Toby

Another very good reply

I found a few places to take my bike to, this one shop has certified harley mechanics working at it and they are not a dealer. The problem is, With the Boogie and Sturgis comming up he is swamped and cant get me in for two weeks. So it looks like I will have to reschedule my vacation for a later date and just miss my trip down 66 this year.. I would like to pick your brains about head gaskets. I have been told that the metal base gaskets are the best, but if that is so then why do so many shops use the composite gaskets?

It could be the gaskets since you just went to Stage One it might have been the last straw for ailing ones.

Your POLICE Should be 103 AND automatic compression releases (ACR).

They are located in/on each cylinder head.
There is a wire that runs from each head (ACR) to a connection.

IF it is not a blown out thru the ACR valve, but a head gasket, Either Is an Easy fix...
Just finding a shop seems to be your problem right now.

No, the Dobeck unit had nothing to do with the problem you are having now.:D

The Two other head bolts are Under the valve covers area and not available until the chrome do dads come off the top of the motor... Not all that easy for a LOOK at them.

Your Removing the tank will do nothing but tell IF you have ACR's.
(or get it ready for tearing down)

Good luck on finding a shop OR A Qualified mechanic not busy OR a Knowledgeable friend to get it done.

SO KNOWING what it is is the key... Low compression Check in that cylinder is the best way to be sure it is a leak.

(MANY good post above from our members here)

signed....BUBBIE

Excellent summation and information.

Rhys I can relate to how you'd feel leaving your bike there (though I've never had to do it yet). Hopefully it will work out for you and you will have found an Indy you can rely on.

Just another Safety Issue for you,,,, WISHED I : would of, should of, could of, IS to make sure the New shop uses the correct head gasket "IF" that is the problem with a head gasket..
IF only one cylinder is pulled down (head off) Remind the shop to Please check the thickness of that gasket in use there. Also ask IF they would suggest .030 gaskets "IF" stock ones were in previously..
(both heads removed, Not a Big thing when down this far).

IF my bike, I would have the .030 head gaskets installed for a litle more Squish that HD doesn't put there and a tad bit More compression. AND Better that Both heads re-gasketed at this time. Even IF you use the stock .045 gaskets.

just my way

signed....BUBBIE

BIKE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
I have gotten my bike back, The indy said it didnt take him that long once he was able to make time for it. It was the front and rear ACR's, He said it was a little tricky because they were only sticking when the bike got up to a good riding temp. The front ACR was frozen shut and the rear was sticking open, wich explains the hard starting and the noise. I put over five hours straight on it the same day I picked it up, and my back side was a little sore. I do not have any of the leaking sounds any longer, bike fires right up, and idles like a big cube H-D should. However, I need to contact the guys at dobek, because my bike is running a bit weird now. When Im just crusin "light throttle" or going through the gears "light throttle" it dosnt sound like a harley, sounds like a honda with staight pipes. Getting popping and a very odd exhaust note at light trottle and/or under load, but when you roll on it at half throttle or harder it sounds like a harley. It makes it hard to cruze around, unless you drop it down a gear and raise the rpm's to around 2,500, It makes the popping sound through all the gears untill above the 2,500 rpm mark or you roll into it hard. So i gotta get ahold of dobek, and have the walk me through what they think. But I shure did have a good five hours, put a little stop and go in town and did a ton of top gear open road cruzin. On another note, we have had a lot of riders here in indiana getting run over by cage's and going down and a good amount have taken lives making it a bit scarry to ride, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers and remember that people have somany things to play with in vehicles now and they are not looking out for you!!!! So make shure you look out for you!!! RIDE SAFE!!!!

BIKE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
I have gotten my bike back, The indy said it didnt take him that long once he was able to make time for it. It was the front and rear ACR's, He said it was a little tricky because they were only sticking when the bike got up to a good riding temp. The front ACR was frozen shut and the rear was sticking open, wich explains the hard starting and the noise. I put over five hours straight on it the same day I picked it up, and my back side was a little sore. I do not have any of the leaking sounds any longer, bike fires right up, and idles like a big cube H-D should. However, I need to contact the guys at dobek, because my bike is running a bit weird now. When Im just crusin "light throttle" or going through the gears "light throttle" it dosnt sound like a harley, sounds like a honda with staight pipes. Getting popping and a very odd exhaust note at light trottle and/or under load, but when you roll on it at half throttle or harder it sounds like a harley. It makes it hard to cruze around, unless you drop it down a gear and raise the rpm's to around 2,500, It makes the popping sound through all the gears untill above the 2,500 rpm mark or you roll into it hard. So i gotta get ahold of dobek, and have the walk me through what they think. But I shure did have a good five hours, put a little stop and go in town and did a ton of top gear open road cruzin. On another note, we have had a lot of riders here in indiana getting run over by cage's and going down and a good amount have taken lives making it a bit scarry to ride, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers and remember that people have somany things to play with in vehicles now and they are not looking out for you!!!! So make shure you look out for you!!! RIDE SAFE!!!!
Where are your 1st 3 pot adjustments set on the tuner. mainly wondering about the 1st pot adjustment?

Where are your 1st 3 pot adjustments set on the tuner. mainly wondering about the 1st pot adjustment?

Not shure I havent messed with the gen.3.5, I have left it the way it came from dobek. I got on their site for settings to look for settings and tried to call but they are closed today "labor day", I got my instuctions out, but havent looked trough them yet. I will read through them and see if I can learn something. But to better explain, when I am crusin it seems kinda sluggish along with the differnt exhaust note and popping, untill you roll up on the throttle and as soon as you hit a certain spot in the trottle it insantly changes even on slow rolls, you dont have to just open it up.

Back