free website stats program please help with ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

please help with ultra

HOPEFULLY it is JUST HUNG UP and will free its self (if that being the problem) I would use a PENETRATING OIL on valve stem and fiddle a little when the piston is bottomed DOWN in cyl.

FIDDLE gets hard to describe........ I would use a way to press the valve down (very little) and allow it to POP return but WAY TOO HARD TO explain HERE...CAREFUL and don't pop out the valve keepers. IF you are KNOWLEDGEABLE about this method you KNOW what i mean and can use it.

Hope this helps!

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, When you say Hung Up are you saying something like a piece of carbon is under the valve and seat which keeps it from closing? Since valve springs are pretty beefy I did not think a valve stem could get stuck in a valve guide.(?) Have you seen that happen.

Hoople

Bubbie, When you say Hung Up are you saying something like a piece of carbon is under the valve and seat which keeps it from closing? Since valve springs are pretty beefy I did not think a valve stem could get stuck in a valve guide.(?) Have you seen that happen.

Hoople

If carbon is hanging the valve ouch we could have a bent valve if the piston hits the valve, you can rap the valve stem with a soft face hammer, easy does it so the keepers dont pop off. When I rebuild heads I give them a soft rap to insure they are seated. This also works good when dis assembling valves to jar the valve . some times they will bind in the springs, I test the springs if in doubt use new springs and collars and keepers, dont want any problems rolling down the road, Jack

thanks to you all .The bike has the solid pushrods and on the comp strke tdc i do have maybe .010 to .020" play in push rod.This is a wreck bike that i bought and it only has 3900 miles on it so it has been sitting since 2006.I put around 150 miles on it so far with no issues until now.i hope it is just a stuck valve and i reckon i will find out tomorrow when i pull the rocker box .Thanks again
Mark

Hoople

I think BECAUSE it sat for a long time AS he DID say in another(after post) post....RUST more than carbon build up.

I have seen valves GET RUSTY and STICK OPEN ON OTHER EQUIPMENT..... AFTER sitting for a long time....

USUALLY got rusty by moisture getting on the STEM LEFT OPEN (pushed to open position) that sat that way for A LONG TIME.... but NOT on a harley...... I heard of that but NOT SEEN

I can't imagine the valves being CARBONED UP with that few miles on it.... and the INTAKE to boot.... STRANGE that it ran FINE for a while.... I would hope he can loosen it up when the top is open and see for sure that is IS open a little...... hopefully not bent or burnt..

signed....BUBBIE

I think BECAUSE it sat for a long time AS he DID say in another(after post) post....RUST more than carbon build up.

I have seen valves GET RUSTY and STICK OPEN ON OTHER EQUIPMENT..... AFTER sitting for a long time....

USUALLY got rusty by moisture getting on the STEM LEFT OPEN (pushed to open position) that sat that way for A LONG TIME.... but NOT on a harley...... I heard of that but NOT SEEN

I can't imagine the valves being CARBONED UP with that few miles on it.... and the INTAKE to boot.... STRANGE that it ran FINE for a while.... I would hope he can loosen it up when the top is open and see for sure that is IS open a little...... hopefully not bent or burnt..

signed....BUBBIE

Anything is possible here, if the valve is sticking in the guide I would pull both heads and do a complete valve job with new guides, Jack

ok everyone i went ahead and pulled the rocker cover off when i got hame from church tonight.I got the engine on tdc on comp stroke and took a screwdriver and lifted up on the pushrod side of the rocker shaft and i can open the valve like that .The valve spring seems to be real weak i can actually push down on top of the rocker shaft over the intake valve and open it like that.I can push down with a screwdriver and slide it off of the valve and it doesnt snap back the way i think it should.Any suggestions or answers everything up top looks wet with oil so i dont think it is a lube problem.I know the years i have drag raced i have seen springs get weak and cause problems at upper rpm range but never anything like this.The exhaust valve spring is real strong and i cant move it like i can on the intake side.I cant tell if the spring is broken yet but will look tomorrow afternoon.Has anybody run up wiyh an issue like this?
Thanks
Mark

Broken spring ? Got me guessing. Id say & mabey measure & i think there measured in pounds of force...

ok everyone i went ahead and pulled the rocker cover off when i got hame from church tonight.I got the engine on tdc on comp stroke and took a screwdriver and lifted up on the pushrod side of the rocker shaft and i can open the valve like that .The valve spring seems to be real weak i can actually push down on top of the rocker shaft over the intake valve and open it like that.I can push down with a screwdriver and slide it off of the valve and it doesnt snap back the way i think it should.Any suggestions or answers everything up top looks wet with oil so i dont think it
Thanks
Mark

CAREFUL when you said at TOP DEAD CENTER you DON"T want to OPEN ANY valve then.... ALWAYS on the BOTTOM of a piston stroke and piston coming up on THE exhaust out stroke. to check intake valve.

IT sounds like the springs either a iNN-E or OUT-E or both.

GOOD JOB BY YOU TO FIND THE PROBLEM..... Lets hope it only damage to a spring....

KEEP us informed PLEASE...

signed....BUBBIE

Ok guy's i have everythingoff the top of the head and the intake valve spring is broken.I hope this is all that is wrong valve spins freely in head doesnt seem to be warped .I can pull it up against the seat and it feels good.I will pull the head off tomorrow its been a monday all day long today time to rest.Has anyone ever seen a spring break like this?
Thanks for the support
Mark

When you get the broken spring out, check how the broken ends mate...springs are hardened steel, but have considerable pressure when depressed, all it takes is a nick or microfracture to break heat treated tempered steel.

Back