free website stats program please help with ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

please help with ultra

markwink

I just bought an ultra calassic 2006 and have been riding it for a couple of days now.I did not get a key fob with this bike and i purchased one from the dealer friday.Today I tried to retreive the pin from the system(i did not get one and probably wont be able to either)I could never get it to show the code after doing the on off on off on then left turn signal twice then the right once oin never came up on the odometer so i decided to ride some.I rode around 20 miles with one short stop and bike started and ran fine.I got home and parked the bike for a while and relaxed.Later i decided to change the oil in the bike so i went into the shop and cranked the bike and let it run at idle while i was getting tools and oil together it ran no longer that a few monutes and just died.I tried to restart and it wouldnt crank so went ahead with the oil change .When i finished the oil i tried to start the bike and it did crank but seemed to be running on one cylinder.I cut the engine off and pu;;ed the plugs to check fire.I did not see any fire at all so i put my finger over the spark plug hole on the front and seem to have great compression then i tried the back and none or very little.I then pulled the pushrod covers off and they were not loose and turning the engine over they are moving up and down.I know this was lengthly but i need help please.
Mark

When you turn the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pump come on for 4 seconds to pressurize the fuel system. And when performing the key fob on- off-on, was the run swith on. and did you do it quickly.

a note w/ cheching spark allwayes ground plugs or plug wires. not grounding may harm electronics. welcome to forum from south bend in.''''

thanks fro the reply .The fuel pump does come on and on the key fob the switch was in the off position.Maybe i did not od it quick enough
Mark

thanks for the help the plugs were grounded when checking.I still do not have any compression on the back cylinder it is blowing back through the throttle body (i think this is the correct name) .I think i have a stuck intake valve.If i am correct what would cause this?
Thanks again
Mark

i just went out and checked and i do have fire now.Still no compression on the back cylinder and blowing out of the throttle body.I think i have a stuck intake valve their is a little lash in the intake pushrod when the valve should be closed.I can turn the engine where the valves should be closed and put air on that cylinder and it blows right through and out of the throttle body.
I really do thank you guy's for the help.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
could that cause low compression on the rear cylinder and blow coming from the throttle body?If so how do i fix?
Thanks
Mark

High temp engine control is performed by injector shut down, not through valve leakage.
Does it seem the intake push rod never rolls easily while cranking through as in lifter is always pumped up?

If you can't get any compression on the back cylinder something is wrong. Pull the rocker box cover and see if the valve train is hung up or anything like that. Once you get the rocker box cover off you should figure out pretty quick what is wrong. If you are blowing air back out the throttle body sounds like something with the intake valve. Don't run the engin anymore till you figure out what is wrong. You could have broken a piece out of the valve or bent a stem.

chipped a valve coming back from southern trip severl yearsl ago sounded like a corn popper runnin, dont run it till cover off. could be loose valve seat....

AGREE don't start and run!!!

DOES SOUND LIKE A VALVE OR LIFTER PROBLEM.....

running good before and just parking it sounds like a STUCK VALVE...

YOU did say that there was FREE TURNING on rear INTAKE push rod when you checked and i assume it was checked, piston at top center? compression stroke? RIGHT?
That tells me it is not the lifter or push rod .... More than likely a hung-up intake valve....

YES to pull the rocker box cover and this will allow for MORE inspection of the valve and spring..

HOPEFULLY it is JUST HUNG UP and will free its self (if that being the problem) I would use a PENETRATING OIL on valve stem and fiddle a little when the piston is bottomed DOWN in cyl.

FIDDLE gets hard to describe........ I would use a way to press the valve down (very little) and allow it to POP return but WAY TOO HARD TO explain HERE...CAREFUL and don't pop out the valve keepers. IF you are KNOWLEDGEABLE about this method you KNOW what i mean and can use it.

Hope this helps!

signed....BUBBIE

before you do anything....
I re-read and need to ask IF the pushrods are the ADJUSTABLE type or the solid stock ones..

IF they are the adjustable it may be TOO tight and allowing the valve to stay open a little...

IF adjustable. LOOSEN a turn or so and see if that does the trick..

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back