free website stats program Please help i killed it | Harley Davidson Forums

Please help i killed it

67hat34c

My problem is 2 fold. First i was trying to do engine compression test I grounded plugs and did it. now it will not start. No codes, has spark. not getting gas. What in the world could have happened.

Second problem is my oil light is coming on when engine starts to heat up from cold at an idle. goes out when it revs. Plenty of oil.

My engine ran out of oil from oil cooler failure i have put 700 miles on it since. am guessing engine is starting to fail, oil pump first which is what doc weaver says will happen first.

ok one problem solved. left throttle wide open which is y it would not start.

the oil pressure issue is real though. I did check engine compression, not hot but a little warm. it was about 182 per cylinder pretty even . I dont think the engine is making any odd noises yet but not sure on that. I am going to buy an oil pressure test kit tomorrow and confirm pressure at cold and hot etc.

Im guessing that if oil pump is going then rest of the engine is also going to fail. Im contacting Ultra Cool to discuss a resolution to this problem It was their product that failed and caused the oil to blow out.

If there is no noise than I doubt you have permanent damage. It would have shown a long time ago. Checking oil pressure is a definite must. If pressure ok than it could be a simple as a pressure switch. I am sure you have checked but is oil at full mark.

700 miles sense your issue and the engine runs good with no noise. Compression at 182 in both cylinders, why would you think the engine is failing? It might be something as simple as a week oil pump. Weak pump does not = a junk engine, first things first, check your oil pressure with a good gauge and go from there.

Check oil pressure with a master gauge, replace sending unit if it passes test with master gauge

Real good advice and please let us know what you find. Your avatar says 08 Sportster but this is in the Softail section. What bike are we talking about and what if any mods have been done to it?

HD08XL016.gif

Number 3 is your oil sender, this is where you will take your oil pressure reading with a master gauge
The sending unit is cheap around 10.00 retail if it shows bad

IMO, If you did serious damage to the engine it would have revealed itself within the 700 miles you've added to the clock sense the oil loss. My money is on a weak/bad oil pump or a bad sending unit. From what you described with the oil light that's indicative of a oil pump and or a sending unit failing.

Wonder what the out come has been with the oil pressure????????

Doc weaver says there are likely metal shavings in the pressure relief valve making it stay open and causing low pressure. Oil pump will be toast.

Im taking it to him. He will drain oil and look for metal, cut open filter and incpect. Will need new oil pump. If there is metal in the tank then he will have to remove jugs to inspect and clean out crank area, may as well punch it out to 103 since it will be apart. Says will need new lifters and will do cams while we are at it.

I sent email to Rob at Ultracool last week informing him that damage has shown up and that i expect them to take care of it. I will start calling him today as think they were closed last week for the most part.

Doc did not recommend head work as the main benefit is high HP but that is at 6k rpm and not usable for normal riding. His 103 with cams and tune will produce ample torque and hp. think he said 110 foot pounds at the rear wheel.

Back