free website stats program Please dont laugh, but | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Please dont laugh, but

Here's a little tip that I learned about the hard way.

You know the little lever inside the handle that you can lock so that you don't have to continually squeeze the lever?? I had one where the return spring on that little lock was missing. Guess what happened? I released the handle but the lock had dropped into place and the gas kept coming out. I must have pumped 1/3 of gallon before I could reach up with my other hand and hold the lock out of the way. Now, I ALWAYS check to be sure that little lock doesn't do it's job when I don't want it to.

Like others have advised: Don't use paper towels to WIPE spillage off your bike. You can blot, but don't WIPE. They are not made out of the softest, smoothest material.

Like others have advised: Don't use paper towels to WIPE spillage off your bike. You can blot, but don't WIPE. They are not made out of the softest, smoothest material.

As I said earlier in the thread. USING a paper towel to wipe? Might as well use a ROCK!

*I learned the hard way, 10 years ago, when diesel spilled on the truck... and it was BRAND NEW! Multiple buffing, and compounding finally took the scratches out!*

I keep a cotton diaper (CLEAN) in a ziploc in my saddle bag. I have used it to:

1. wipe up gas spills on the tank
2. clean the windscreen after a huge storm (and getting MUD splashed so bad I couldn't see through the screen)
3. cover a nasty cut on a fellow rider, who had an accident.

In the first 2 cases, I put it back in the ziploc, and took it home (no mess in the saddlebags)!

In the 3rd case, I bought a new cotton diaper! :D

Just remember dont go tippy top in a really hot day, and then go and park it in the sun for a couple of hours. When gas heats up it expands, and youll come out and find your tank over flowing.

Personally -JMO --- But I would not rely on the auto shut-off !!!!! If you have the scoot on the kick stand leaning as your filling the tank - more gas to one side than the other. If your sitting on your scoot while filling , no need to use auto! Squeeze the handle and use a high octane rated fuel!!
Sorry to bump such an old thread guys, but I am wondering about this post:

If it is not on the sidestand, how would you fill the bike? Just reach over for the nozzle and start filling while sitting on the bike?

I ask because on mine, the auto shutoff stops the pump after not even two gallons (on an empty tank).

I generally do not like to gas up astride the bike, couple of reasons, you usually need both hands to control the nozzle so if wind comes up or the bike starts to roll, or you lose your footing over ya' go...not good! You gain no additional speed filling up, and how many times have we dropped something and reacted by reaching for it...not a good scenario in either case. Why push a bad position for a "speedy fill", self service usually means you have to get off the bike anyway, or the need for change.

For the most recent post, on a 2002 Sportster you'll likely have the "peanut" tank which is 3.3 gallons. If you run it to "empty" but, not switch to the reserve, then you're probably going to get about 2 gallons in with it on the side stand.

Having a 2001, I always reset my trip meter on the speedo and typically run for 150 miles.

When I fuel up, I listen closely and you can hear when it's getting close to full. I don't try to round up the dollar amount and just stop when the gas is right at the top while the bike is on the side stand.

I typically get to 2.2 gallons per fill up using the 150 to 160 mile range as my guide.

MY ADDITIONS TO A BIG PROBLEM..... People wanting to watch look admire AND talk......

DON'T LOOK UP FROM YOUR JOB OF FUELING........ don't TALK or LOOK at others UNTIL FINISHED and NOZZEL hung up......

STAY OFF THE CEL-PHONE..... YEP, I have seen people talking while FUELING.

careful CAREFUL holding nozzle AIMING into tank, get comfortable AT THE START and if not COMFORTABLE ,,,,,, STOP THE FLOW until you ARE COMFORTABLE,,,, DON'T pull nozzle out far enough to get GAS spraying on the TANK inside OUTER- RING,,,, it will SPLASH everywhere. STOP EARLY and ALWAYS SWEEZE LIGHTLY. NEVER WIDE OPEN....

NO MATTER WHO IT IS GETTING YOUR ATTENTION,,,,,,,STOP FUELING PROCESS THEN LOOK AND ANSWER .......

SAY AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS........

NOT NOW or DON'T BOTHER ME, I AM BUSY FUELING MY BABY UP!

watch some of the others as they FUEL then LAUGH(to your self) as MOST will have some problems..... HEY, ANYBODY HAVE A SPARE SOFT TOWEL?

PEOPLE WATCHING (fueling their bikes) at a gas station is a great LEARNING experience.

signed....BUBBIE

Had to help a H A put out a fire once, he was lighting up while fueling up , bad scene, used to carry small extinguisher in my bag when I rode baggers it seemed like a good idea

Not sure about the sportsters but on the Road King after fueling dont forget to put the gas cap back on before righting the bike up straight off the jiffy stand the gas will overflow ask me how I know this?:small3d023:

Back