free website stats program plastic tip in tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

plastic tip in tranny

lowrider13

I was changing my trannny oil, when the blue tip of the mobil1 fell directly into the transmisson. I tried to flush, used a dry-vac with a 3/16 tube going front to back to no avail. Do you think it will cause problems, or am I just paranoid? I believe it will chew up. I can't do anything else but hope.

I was changing my trannny oil, when the blue tip of the mobil1 fell directly into the transmisson. I tried to flush, used a dry-vac with a 3/16 tube going front to back to no avail. Do you think it will cause problems, or am I just paranoid? I believe it will chew up. I can't do anything else but hope.

pop the case and get it out!

I personally wouldn't worry about it. It will most likely float around and get ground up in the gears. But it would be nice to get the cap out.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in,I would spend the few hrs.for peace of mind JMO

I would too, try to get it out. Maybe flush it out with some kerosene followed by 2 changes of the trans oil afterward.

If you do this, when you refill the trans turn the back wheel some to get the new oil into the bearings before riding it.

I wonder if you filled the case to the top would the cap float up to the top and then pluck it out

That's a possibility, try it with another cap (not in the trans thou :lolrolling) to see if it floats or sinks.

Then again, you could always turn the bike over and shake it out too. :D

I wonder if you filled the case to the top would the cap float up to the top and then pluck it out

might work but I would think the fluid would be thick enough to not allow the the tip to float up ????

Wait. Were you filling the tranny through the clutch release cover or did you have the top cover off filling it there? If the former, should be able to pop that off fairly easily. If you had the top open (big no no in my book for just this reason!) then this is a problem. I definitely feel you need to get that out of there. If you fish around and can not find it, try putting the tranny in 5 or 6th gear and rotating the rear wheel while watching through the top. Hopefully the tip will be pinched between some of the gears and brought to the opening. If 5th or 6th doesn't work, down shift a gear and try some more. Continue this all the way through the gear set including reverse. Good luck. If that doesn't work, try flushing. If that doesn't work, gonna have to pull the trap door or take the tranny loose and turn it over and shake it!! JMHO.

TQ

Back