free website stats program Plasma Rods; Even Custom Dynamics Makes Mistakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Plasma Rods; Even Custom Dynamics Makes Mistakes

Iceman24

While installing Custom Dynamics 8" Plasma Rods on my 09 FLHX to operate as run/brake I discovered a error on their part w/the HD Universal Wiring Adapter. This so called easy device allows you to unplug rear light wiring harness (under seat on my 09 FLHX) and use it to seamlessly tap their Plasma Rods into the bike. As always, I read & re-read instructions before starting & made sure everything was connected properly. When it was time to illuminate the rods...drum roll...nothing. I felt like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. So now I'm frustrated & tracing everything down, tried CD Tech Support - closed. Wires all connected per their "basic" guidance & not working. Well, without dragging too far, I'll say the $60 Touring Service Manual once again paid for itself in many ways & wiring schematics are a electricians best friend. Traced down the rear lighting harness wire colors & started looking/matching to CD's adapter. THERE IT WAS...CD put their ground tappet on the wrong wire...UG! Yes, it was a black wire, but didn't match my bike's rear light harness ground wire. Sure enough, after I moved the tappet, the lights worked as planned.

Overall I really like the looks/function of these Plasma Rods & will post pics + guidance later (when more awake). Just need to thank custom Dynamics for adding 45-minutes to my project timeline.
:bigsmiley30:

Last edited:
Good find Iceman...here is where the rubber hits the road....when all else fails, follow your instincts. Perfection is a rare commodity these days but if we do our part we can get pretty close! :D

Definitely - you know the old saying "good enough for government work" well seems to be migrating into open market. These Plasma Rods use in-line tappets & dual controllers/converters w/their harness and I also didn't like all the open ends on these connection points. Old-school/perfectionist me dabbed silicone one each area I saw an opening for water so they're all sealed. Finally get to finish the rear lighting project tonight when I tie-wrap everything secure & put seat back on...whew.

Back