pitting on spokes

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by sportyXL06, Mar 7, 2009.

1. sportyXL06

sportyXL06 Member

I have a 06 sportster with the laced wheels i take care of the bike and wax it including the wheel spokes not an easy job . I noticed that some of the spokes are showing signs of pitting and some rust is there something that I can use to remove the rust and to keep this to a minimum some advice would
    help thanks
    sporty 06

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I used to put a lot of true spoke wheels on cars that I restored or rodded and what I would do is scuff them with a 600 wet paper and then clear-coat them and bake them at 200f this temperature will not warp them but it will give the protective finish a durability factor.

3. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I thought I had rust but after closer inspection I figured out it was brake residue. I found that chrome polish and a little patience would take it off. I seem to remember some kind of polishing cloth that came in a can in long strips. That would probably be quicker but I wouldn't think it would leave the protective coating that the polish will. Funny thing is I only notice it on the front wheel.

4. sportyXL06

sportyXL06 Member

Thanks I will look at it closer and yes it is only on the front wheel spokes

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Luster Lace Strips help clean the spoke