free website stats program Piston oil jet size | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Piston oil jet size

Went to HD shop, very nice shop foreman let me back in engine room.
Piston jet I.D. is approximately .025/.030 big.
Jet gets its oil pulse from lifter bore. Lifter is timed to let jet spray when piston is around BDC.
The 5 micron filter will filter down to 5 microns but not get all. Since Harley won't give out beta ratio for filter the 5 micron rating is not really good indicator of how this filter, filters. Remember, the filter is good for 5000 miles according to HD, so if it got "everything" my thinking is would plug up and bypass.
wilks3:cheers

Chopper; Thanks for the pics.
Wilkes; Thanks for the effort and info. I will probably never need to know this, but I do know it!

Went to HD shop, very nice shop foreman let me back in engine room.
Piston jet I.D. is approximately .025/.030 big.
Jet gets its oil pulse from lifter bore. Lifter is timed to let jet spray when piston is around BDC.
The 5 micron filter will filter down to 5 microns but not get all. Since Harley won't give out beta ratio for filter the 5 micron rating is not really good indicator of how this filter, filters. Remember, the filter is good for 5000 miles according to HD, so if it got "everything" my thinking is would plug up and bypass.
wilks3:cheers

THAT SIZE of bore would make some serious oil film onto the pistons and must really lubricate the inside of the motor!!

I HAVE ALWAYS RAISED the RPM to UP the OIL Pressure while at a stop for any LONG period of time,,, JUST a burst(2000rpm) for a Second or Two at about every :20 seconds at a stop.....

NOW THAT I know it MUST REALLY WORK to COOL and LUBE the pistons I will KEEP doing WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING to insure KEEPING pistons Cooler and Cyl's Oiled up especially at the LONG stop lights where IF you shut the motor OFF the light will INSTANTLY CHANGE TO GREEN.........YOU KNOW THAT LIGHT caus' YOU'VE BEEN THERE ALSO!

*THANKS for ALL the GREAT information!! where else but on HD TALKING
GREAT bunch of members here!

signed....BUBBIE

Back