free website stats program piston chatter | Harley Davidson Forums

piston chatter

dd1228

If one has piston chatter in a 95 inch HD kit with 74k miles, is it possible that only the rings need replacing, or do I have to replace cylinders and pistons?

What are ya calling piston chatter.. sure its not pinging .. maybe wrist pin knock ? or a tappet knocking

I had a chatter and it turned out to be in my clutch, it was dragging a little. Does it only happen when holding the clutch while in a gear?

If it turns out to be piston slap,,, you can go oversize and have it torque plated and Honed to a size over MAYBE... depends on your wear... and how much over you need to go... Re ringing NO,
The other post ask the right questions and there are a lot of issues it could be before Piston Slap....

signed....BUBBIE

If one has piston chatter in a 95 inch HD kit with 74k miles, is it possible that only the rings need replacing, or do I have to replace cylinders and pistons?

Are you talking about piston slap? Can you describe the noise and where it's coming from?

Get a mechanic's stethascope or a large flat screw driver with a wooden handle. The with the engine running and the noise is audible. Start serching around your engine and try to locate the noise at least high or low. Try to find the noise before tearing into any thing.

Thanks for answering so fast guys. Bubbie and Glider we talked before about the noise coming from my engine for the last year. Everything possible was already checked and double checked by more than one mechanic and noone can find the source of the noise; so I have to go inside the top end to try and find the problem. I've been told that with 75k miles on the HD 95 kit there could definitely be enough wear to cause piston slap. So I'll take the heads off and take a "look see". Crankshaft runout was .001 at the cam plate, so that's good. A Harley service manager told me the noise was coming from wear on the cams, but I don't believe that, and everyone I talked to said no way! I would hate to lay out big bucks only to find out the problem wasn't solved. So I guess I have my work cut out for me. Pretty soon it will be too hot to ride here in Phoenix, so a good time to tear it apart.

Back