free website stats program pionts | Harley Davidson Forums

pionts

lowrider1987

I have single fire points on my 1987 lowrider and iam having trouble getting the timing right. I had it right before i rebuilt the bike not the motor just wiring and chrome and paint. I get it running but its just not right please can someone help.

If you had the Bike down for a while, & the points were open, it's possible corrosion may have started a film there... If you can get in there with some fine emory cloth, folded so each contact point get a rough side... work that back & forth a little.

I have single fire points on my 1987 lowrider and I am having trouble getting the timing right. I had it right before i rebuilt the bike not the motor just wiring and chrome and paint. I get it running but its just not right please can someone help.

In the old days, the point gap was not TOO critical, usually given a range, and easiest way to adjust is with the proper sized feeler guage in the middle of the range. Look in the tabs near the top of the webpage to get to the Self Help, Search and Menu to find tips, threads and specs respectively based on your needs. Having an ignition file is good, as they generally use diamond dust that does not slough off, (use a vacuum to get the metal filings out).

I get it running but its just not right please can someone help.

What do you mean by "not right"? I am not familiar with that year bike but I assume you need to use a light to check it. Too advanced, scattered flash, too retarded, quits flashing ??

Back