free website stats program Pinion gear removal????? | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinion gear removal?????

kldrury

90 Heritage softail. I replaced oil pump and reinstalled breather gear wrong. tried to reallign today and stupidly turned the engine over to move gears and the top gear and shaft came out! How do I remove the small (pinion) gear at the bottom to put the bigger gear back in? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

If you are talking about the pinion gear in the nose cone, it is left handed threads. You don't have to remove it to re-time the gears. I assume the large gear & shaft you talk about is your cam. Jack the rear tire up, place tranny in 5th, pull the plugs and rotate the engine by turning the rear tire to align your marks again. Behind the cam there should be a funny looking washer with 2 ears on it. You may also have spacer for cam end play. The funny looking washer goes on the end of cam next to cases. Hope this is what you were talking about.
Ray C.

If you have the push rods still in, they need to be removed. They are creating downward pressure on the cam from 1 or 2 valves being open or partially open.
Once they ,the push rods. are out you can slide the cam back in place without taking the pinion gear out as I said before. You didn't say if your push rods were in as yet. I figured you still had them out for the oil pump. Good luck with it.

90 Heritage softail. I replaced oil pump and reinstalled breather gear wrong. tried to reallign today and stupidly turned the engine over to move gears and the top gear and shaft came out! How do I remove the small (pinion) gear at the bottom to put the bigger gear back in? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Here is what I wrote to kldrury on PM when he asked me about it there:

Do not do that. The problem is that the valves are now closed which is making it hard to get things back together. You have the following options now:

1. Disassemble the top end to the point where you have the rockers off and no load on the pushrods (not the best option in my opinion). Follow the procedure below to remove and reinstall the camshaft and breather gear including holding the lifters up. Then reinstall the top end making sure you rotate the engine so the lifters are riding the backside of the lobes when you install each rocker.

or

2. Collapse the pushrod covers and cut the pushrods (you will be replacing them with adjustable ones). Use the binder clip handle as tools to keep the lifters from falling into the cam chest, and then pull the camshaft and breather gear out. Take out the spark plugs and then rotate the engine with the rear wheel having the tranny in 4th or 5th, and the tire off the ground. Get the pinion gear in proper location and then install the camshaft and breather gear all in alignment. Put the nose cone back on and then release the lifters. Install the adjustable pushrods and rotate the engine until both PRs on front or rear are at the back of the lobes and the piston at TDC compression. Adjust those rods, and then rotate engine to do the other cylinder. Button up the PR covers, install the spark plugs, take the bike off the jack and back it out!!

Number 2 is the best option in my mind because all you are doing is installing adjustable PRs rather then disturbing the top end.

Ready to go.

TQ

Back