free website stats program Pinging running hot. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinging running hot.

Just getting back to everyone after valve adjustment.Motor is quiet except a bad knock,Shop that adjust valves said maybe a bearing or piston slap.701 miles on new motor.It sounds like its coming from the front cyl.Took it back to builder he said maybe compensator sprocket came loose.he ck.it and was tight.Now he said that maybe the balancers might of come loose and making it knock.It gets louder as it warms up.can the balancers come loose,and if so wouldnt the motor shake real bad.also i guess their is a gear that can come loose if it did wouldnt it shake.He did say he would meet me half way on parts and labor.Just getting a bad taste. does anybody have any ideas!! Ino its hard to say anything when you cant hear it.Please Help!! Thanks Fattyboy.

If the bike your talking about here is a Road King, it does not have balancers. The only motor that has balancers is the "B" motor found in the Softail models.

Sorry yes this is a softtail.

Sorry yes we are talking about a softail.Kinda new with computer.

Sorry, It is a softail. Can the balancers come loose and wouldnt the motor shake.

Yes this is a softail and they didnt take the bottom end apart yet,their going to pull heads and cyl.first to see if they can see anything that would cause the knocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all, awhile back i talked about this.somebody said to maybe have the valves adjusted,well i did they where noisey anyways,the shop that adjusted them said they where adjusted at about 1and a half turns,he said he adjusted them at 3 turns where their supposed to be,all the clatter is gone.But their is a knock now,couldnt here it before becouse of all the top end noise.Took it back to the builder he took the motor back apart said all looks good found a couple teeth gone off starter and teeth where sharp on ring gear.charged 500.00.but i got it home and their was dust between the heads and i looked under the tank and the rocker boxes still had dirt and dust on them.When i pick it up he said that the top end will be noisy becouse its a 113 with big cams.But when the other shop adjusted the valves at 3 turns i could hear the knock, now i get it back and its noisy again i couldnt hear the knock if its their.do you think this is a cover up.it doesnt look like the motor was ever taken apart.what is the proper amount of turns to adjust the valves after it sits all night ,screamin eagel stroker crank,se,cnc heads,se pistons,woods9fg cams,se adjustable push rods. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

hi all, awhile back i talked about this.somebody said to maybe have the valves adjusted,well i did they where noisey anyways,the shop that adjusted them said they where adjusted at about 1and a half turns,he said he adjusted them at 3 turns where their supposed to be,all the clatter is gone.But their is a knock now,couldnt here it before becouse of all the top end noise.Took it back to the builder he took the motor back apart said all looks good found a couple teeth gone off starter and teeth where sharp on ring gear.charged 500.00.but i got it home and their was dust between the heads and i looked under the tank and the rocker boxes still had dirt and dust on them.When i pick it up he said that the top end will be noisy becouse its a 113 with big cams.But when the other shop adjusted the valves at 3 turns i could hear the knock, now i get it back and its noisy again i couldnt hear the knock if its their.do you think this is a cover up.it doesnt look like the motor was ever taken apart.what is the proper amount of turns to adjust the valves after it sits all night ,screamin eagel stroker crank,se,cnc heads,se pistons,woods9fg cams,se adjustable push rods. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

Harley Davidson Community Look here then have a talk with your engine builder and find out why the top end was not taken apart and looked at, you may have a problem in the valve train or a slapping piston JMO or a bad comp sprocket could cause a lot of noise

I've read in other posts elsewhere that it is common tendancy for people to run very rich mixtures to so as not to hurt their new engine but in effect is begins to gather heavy carbon on top of the pistons so much so that it raises the compression of the engine after a small amount of mileage resulting in spark knock that wasnt there originally?..not saying this is your problem but the it shouldnt be overlooked

Back