free website stats program Pinging running hot. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinging running hot.

I did ck. for leaks but its all good.

no it did not start pining until about 1000 miles just guessing.And thats when it startes making alot of top end noise.Like rocker noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went to the Mikuni web site and if I'm correct the 42 should be used on a pretty much stock 80 to 88 ci motor. With the specs that you have given us it looks like you will need the 45 at the very least and you might consider the 48.

no it did not start pining until about 1000 miles just guessing.And thats when it startes making alot of top end noise.Like rocker noise.

Since it wasn't happening since day 1 of the rebuild, I would say your spark advance is probably not the cause. You gotta figure out what that top end noise is all about.

I also forgot to tell everybody that this motor is a 113,It does have a screamin eagel stroker crank with pistons and htcc heads and 9fg cams and a big knock!

Just getting back to everyone after valve adjustment.Motor is quiet except a bad knock,Shop that adjust valves said maybe a bearing or piston slap.701 miles on new motor.It sounds like its coming from the front cyl.Took it back to builder he said maybe compensator sprocket came loose.he ck.it and was tight.Now he said that maybe the balancers might of come loose and making it knock.It gets louder as it warms up.can the balancers come loose,and if so wouldnt the motor shake real bad.also i guess their is a gear that can come loose if it did wouldnt it shake.He did say he would meet me half way on parts and labor.Just getting a bad taste. does anybody have any ideas!! Ino its hard to say anything when you cant hear it.Please Help!! Thanks Fattyboy.

Just getting back to everyone after valve adjustment.Motor is quiet except a bad knock,Shop that adjust valves said maybe a bearing or piston slap.701 miles on new motor.It sounds like its coming from the front cyl.Took it back to builder he said maybe compensator sprocket came loose.he ck.it and was tight.Now he said that maybe the balancers might of come loose and making it knock.It gets louder as it warms up.can the balancers come loose,and if so wouldnt the motor shake real bad.also i guess their is a gear that can come loose if it did wouldnt it shake.He did say he would meet me half way on parts and labor.Just getting a bad taste. does anybody have any ideas!! Ino its hard to say anything when you cant hear it.Please Help!! Thanks Fattyboy.

Was the knock there before the valve adjustment. Piston slap is very noticeable and will get louder with RPMS

I also forgot to tell everybody that this motor is a 113,It does have a screamin eagel stroker crank with pistons and htcc heads and 9fg cams and a big knock!

Once again, strokers tend to make a bit more noise as they have a longer stroke and have more force on the cylinders, if you have a stroker chances are you also have higher compression this too will pose problems with todays fuel and run hotter, may try a bit less advance on the timing:s

Re: Forgot a few things on pinging running hot

The problum that i have now is it has a bad knock with 701 miles.And builder says that maybe the balancers came loose.wouldnt that make the bike shake real bad.

The problum that i have now is it has a bad knock with 701 miles.And builder says that maybe the balancers came loose.wouldnt that make the bike shake real bad.

Sure, is this a Softail motor we are talking about and did they have the bottom end apart?

I couldnt tell becouse the valves were so out of adjustment thats all i heard,now after i had them adjusted by sombody else their quiet and you hear a knock.

Balancers in a Road king? I think not unless we are talking softail "B" engine.

I couldnt tell becouse the valves were so out of adjustment thats all i heard,now after i had them adjusted by sombody else their quiet and you hear a knock.

Valves would be a ticking piston slap is way more noticeable and louder

Back