free website stats program Pinging running hot. | Harley Davidson Forums

Pinging running hot.

fattyboy

Hi,All.I have a 03 twinn cam 113 it has about 2500 miles on it since motor was done. Has stroker kit in it with screamin eagel cnc ported heads,woods 9fg cams,mukini 42 carb. After i let it warm up good, itake off and if i stand on it,It pings real bad.and also if i dont stand on it and just drive normal for about 12 miles on a 80deg.day it will get up to about 260 before i shut it off to let it cool down.I dont no if the carb. is to small and not giving it enough fuel making it run lean,and causeing it to run hot.Iam taking it this weekend and putting it on a dyno to see if its running to lean or to much timing.Also i noticed when i drive it and it gets hot it has a major amount of top end noise,Like rocker noise,A clatter big time. NEED HELP!!!!!!!! Thanks.

What is the compression ratio and what exhaust are you running?

What is the compression (PSI) of the engine while cranking. What ignition system are you using. Did you make any changes to the spark advance curve. Has it been pinging from day 1 of the rebuild.

had sorta the same problem . hope its not yours but my inner valve spring on front head was broken . pinging is not a great sound .. you may want to do a push rob adjustment and see if that helps before you tear into the top end to find the problem . just a sugestion . could b alot of things hard to know when a guy doesnt get a chance to hear the noise for himself . hope ya get her figured out and its something cheap and easy !

been running bad gas maybe ?? how many tanks have you gone through with same noise ? just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe its 9.1 and running a thunder header.

Hoople ask a good question about what ign are you running, also to you know the lift on that cam? This sounds like a serious motor and your 9.1 CR is pretty tame.

i beleieve the comp. is 9.1 havent ck. while cranking. The ign. is a Twinn Tec tc 88

I think Hoople is looking for the comp at start up in PSI. You'll need a screw in or rubber tip type guage for this.

Iam going to adjust the valves and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the input. Ill let you no what happens.

Maybe a tank and a half, did add some octane boost but that didnt do anything

I do no right off hand but i think the lift is around 610 not sure but will look in my book.

Check for any intake leaks?

Reread the questions in the thread and give some answers if you want help.

Back