free website stats program Picking a bike up (off the ground) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Picking a bike up (off the ground)

never scraped it from raising it with starter, I do it all the time at a rally, about 4 times a day. I even have let 90# ladys bring it up

I think the starter method is like what we called "riding it up". It won't work on modern bikes with tilt sensors. It also didn't work on bikes with carbs that wouldn't pick up the fuel at extream angles. With the bike on it's side, you'd start the bike, put it in gear and release the clutch as you stood next to it and lifted until the tires got contact. With the steering to full lock in, the bike would try and stand itself up. And yes, sometimes the bike would end up laying on it's other side. All things considered, (starting, reaching shifter, etc.) it was safer and easier to lift the bike dead. I've done it on simple tip overs that never stalled the engine (British Twins and dirt bikes), but never on a full size HD. Kind of a cowboy move, but when (if) it worked, it was rather impressive.

Hey I am in the wild west, and I was shown that technique by an experienced rider ON A SPORTBIKE...:newsmile055: And while it was neat to watch, I had visions of getting it up and then "HIGH SIDING IT" to the other side...adding insult on to injury. Might try looking here first...posted by our fearless leader with a bit less "radical" method...yeeehh hawwwgg!!! :newsmile08:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/892-picking_up_a_dropped_bike.html

Haven't had to do it...YET...but when the time comes, I'll use the methods shown on the Ride Like A Pro videos.

I took a look at the video and I already had the part where you back up to the bike but didn't think about putting the kick stand down first so thanks for the tip. Thanks Bob

I have had to pick up a couple of different bikes. Mine and others. Never had a problem with it. Watched the starter method onece and it did not exactly work as planned. Use what works for your.

I had my ride fall off a lift and the first thought was how to pick up an 800 lb bike off the ground. I made sure the tranny was in gear and just lifted it. I was surprised how easy it was.

While the big bikes weigh in excess of 800 pounds, you are not picking them up off the ground. Just pivoting it back upright. I am not sure how much you are picking up, i am guessing at least a couple of hundred pounds if you just musle it up.

Just use the handle bar as a lever. Much easer than fighting the total weight trying to lift the body of the bike. Just use the handle bar on the down side, turn to lock, stand away from body of bike and lift. Then don't drop it again!! scratches the chrome, which is harder to polish out than lifting a big bike.

Theres a little jack called I believe the save your back jack, its for little guys or gals or people with bad back/knees. less then a foot long made from aluminum and fits under the rear floor board. If it works as well as in the video it would be handy

Back