free website stats program Picking a bike up (off the ground) | Harley Davidson Forums

Picking a bike up (off the ground)

dfbales

Yes smile we all have dropped one in our life, Has anyone used the starter method, I have used it for years and it seems no one knows it. (ps I hill climb with a softtail)

I never have never heard of it...can ya explain just how it works??...the couple times I did have to pick her up...I was so mad...I just muscled it up!

I read somewhere its easier to pick it up with your back to it so I've used that method a few times and it seems to be easier on the back. Having crash bars helps too. If I'm not mistaken in order to get a cycle license in Japan you have to be able to pick up the bike you intend to ride - Bob

I think the starter method is like what we called "riding it up". It won't work on modern bikes with tilt sensors. It also didn't work on bikes with carbs that wouldn't pick up the fuel at extream angles. With the bike on it's side, you'd start the bike, put it in gear and release the clutch as you stood next to it and lifted until the tires got contact. With the steering to full lock in, the bike would try and stand itself up. And yes, sometimes the bike would end up laying on it's other side. All things considered, (starting, reaching shifter, etc.) it was safer and easier to lift the bike dead. I've done it on simple tip overs that never stalled the engine (British Twins and dirt bikes), but never on a full size HD. Kind of a cowboy move, but when (if) it worked, it was rather impressive.

Last edited:
normaly when you drop it it is in gear, the saftey switch keeps it from starting till back up. with the ft wheel turned pick up on the outmost handle bar so wheels touch. then push the starter button. straghen ft wheel as bike rises. note carefull on the start button or you will go back to the ground the other way. I am only 155# and 65 still pick it up that way (normally when hill climing with metrics). learned this from a detroit cop, years ago. I am always showing this at rallies

It sounds like damage can be done by scraping along till you get it back up. Mine has been over once and I needed help righting it but no damage was done. I hope I never have to do it again!

After finishing the last mod the other day I rolled the bike out to test everything, a friend came by and while talking to him I put the kickstand down and got off the bike. The kickstand wasn't locked and the bike proceeded to fall over undoing the work I had just finished. I muscled the bike up and was ready to toss it. Then I smiled as at age 65 I was lucky to muscle it up throwing it would require more than I had.

Back