free website stats program Phase I Rear Signal Relocation - questions! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Phase I Rear Signal Relocation - questions!

Ok as I read your post it's all coming back to me now. I apologize it's been well over a year since I did this. But don't worry I'm fixun to give you the complete lowdown.

Yes, HD does not mention a lot of things. I went thru the same stuff you are and had to search all this stuff down back then but I had forgotten it.

Originally the "only" reason the sig relo kit was sold was as an "additional" kit to the saddlebag bracket kit. HD never envisioned that someone might want to just buy the relo kit by itself or inadvertently buy it first instead of after the saddlebag bracket kit.

So to make a long story short, you've probably noticed that the old relo fender backet bolt is smaller and more puny lookin than the forward bracket bolt. Well it's not recommended for mounting bags. To do that you need a stiffer bolt and to screw that larger bolt in you need interior fender bracket inserts that have the larger theads in them.

I had to buy this kit but had forgotten about it. " It " has the cosmetic hole cover included in this kit.

It's called the rigid sideplate mounting kit. They have the threads in them that holds heavier rear saddlebag rated attachment bolts.

It's HD part #53975-06 comes with the plug, better brackets for bags and hardware.

I've attached the HD PDF file of it. (edit the PDF must be too large it won't attach, let me see if I can find a link online so you can view what you would be getting)

This can be bought locally or at 53975-06 | New Castle Harley-Davidson

I bought the above and it's a better application for bags.
---------------------------
If you think you don't need the heavier saddlebag bracket kit, you can buy only the hole plug. It's HD Part #56239-93
can be bought locally OR online at,

HOLE PLUG, 56239-93, HOLE PLUG

for a couple of bucks and shipping.

RWB,
Again - thanks for your help! Good news and bad news on the relocation effort: Bad news is that somehow I managed to strip the bullet light on the left side. I tried tightening down the nut stop the insert from moving around it. The right side was no problem . . . the left side just stripped. I have it held on -barely- with a couple of threads and some blue loctite . . .Good news is the lights are installed, they work . . . I finally figured out which slot was slot # one for the purple wire . . . All is well now.
I'm going to get the cosmetic insert kit for the holes and a new bullet light chassis . . . hopefully its not too expensive!

Thanks Again!!

Mark!!

Mark don't try to hold the sig placement too much with the one nut, it's only for snugging, the second locking nut is the one that "holds" it all in place. The trick is getting the sig alignment while trying to tighten it.

If your foobarred sig ever fails on you, you can buy a new one relatively inexpensive. I could find the part number and current price for you if you don't have it. They come as a complete unit with bulb socket, wires etc all together.

Mark don't try to hold the sig placement too much with the one nut, it's only for snugging, the second locking nut is the one that "holds" it all in place. The trick is getting the sig alignment while trying to tighten it.

If your foobarred sig ever fails on you, you can buy a new one relatively inexpensive. I could find the part number and current price for you if you don't have it. They come as a complete unit with bulb socket, wires etc all together.
RWB,
That part number would be great . . . I can't find it on the H-D site . . . I screwed the sig on the chrome shaft and attempted to snug the connection with the jam bolt . . that snugging operation to around 10 ft/lbs is what stripped it. I didn't strip the other one . . . :small3d031: I'm normally pretty good about not damaging stuff like this . . . oh well! The metal on the sig seems a bit soft . . .

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

RWB,
That part number would be great . . . I can't find it on the H-D site . . . . . . The metal on the sig seems a bit soft . . . Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Yes the sig metal is pot aluminum. I think I put a lock washer on mine to help lock it but I really can't remember for sure.

Ouch the rear is a bit more. I was remembering the front one was in the low $20s last time I checked (over a year ago). Anyhow here are the prices and part number. You might could just put some JB Weld on the sig threads, let it dry a day or so and then run a tap thru it. Might work, the JB Weld is about as strong as the sig metal.

REAR TURN SIGNAL, HD Part #68978-00
$52.49 at Ronnies Harley
$38.28 at New Castle HD

Harley-Davidson | New Castle Harley-Davidson

If you do order one, contact them first to verify that part number will work on "your" bike. I was going on a 2011 FXDC but when it came up it only offered this one part number and it said " for international models only "

Yes the sig metal is pot aluminum. I think I put a lock washer on mine to help lock it but I really can't remember for sure.

Ouch the rear is a bit more. I was remembering the front one was in the low $20s last time I checked (over a year ago). Anyhow here are the prices and part number. You might could just put some JB Weld on the sig threads, let it dry a day or so and then run a tap thru it. Might work, the JB Weld is about as strong as the sig metal.

REAR TURN SIGNAL, HD Part #68978-00
$52.49 at Ronnies Harley
$38.28 at New Castle HD

Harley-Davidson | New Castle Harley-Davidson

If you do order one, contact them first to verify that part number will work on "your" bike. I was going on a 2011 FXDC but when it came up it only offered this one part number and it said " for international models only "

Thanks! Hmm . . .I'll give my local dealer a call and hope they'll have it in stock. There's a lock washer that comes with it . . . perhaps it needed a flat washer as well? We'll see - thanks again! I'll post some pix once I get the side inserts installed and the left sig replaced. It might be ridable with the slightly loose sig . . . but I'd rather not chance it.

Thanks Again!

Mark

I get the following part numbers for domestic models for the rear turn signal lamp 68977-00 and 68461-09
But i do not know which of those would be correct

Brian

I get the following part numbers for domestic models for the rear turn signal lamp 68977-00 and 68461-09
But i do not know which of those would be correct

Brian

Brian and RWB,
Thanks for your help - chasing this down has been quite the treat! Can I say pain in the posterior without getting a ding? I hope so . . . well here it is is: Part number 47531-06 is the "Recess Cover" that is part of the FXD/L Docking hardware kit. It and only it covers the entire gaping oval shape recess and the two screw holes that used to comprise the signal standoff mount point on my 2011 H-D Dyna Super Glide Custome FXDC. Sheesh - for some reason this is not included in the laydown license plate/rear signal relocation kit that I purchased for my dyna. I now have to wait 2 weeks to secure this part and cover up the gaping hole in my fender! I'll check latus harley and see if they have it in stock. . . . I seriously doubt it though . . .

Thanks both of you for your help!

Lessons learned:
1) Don't trust the pot metal on harley signals - its VERY soft :taunt
2) Don't assume that parts that are supposed to be in a kit are in the kit!:newsmile026:

Mark - Thanks!:bigsmiley12:

It seems to be all part of the Harley experience to get confused about what is in what kit and what part number will fit anything however with a wee bit of experience you will start to look deeply into everything before you buy just to try and ensure you do not end up with the wrong or insufficient parts

There is no substitute for experience

Brian

Back