free website stats program PGR members question | Harley Davidson Forums

PGR members question

Redfish-Joe

I understand the PGR is a non-profit group. I also understand there are places online to purchase PGR merchandise. What I can't understand is how a Regional Captain can sell merchandise at a church during a funeral.

This happened in Fl. yesterday.

I find this practice grossly disresptful and very distasteful. Making money from a death is not what the PGR I joined is about.

Chime in.

Respects...Joe

I understand the PGR is a non-profit group. I also understand there are places online to purchase PGR merchandise. What I can't understand is how a Regional Captain can sell merchandise at a church during a funeral.

I find this practice grossly disresptful and very distasteful. Making money from a death is not what the PGR I joined is about.

Chime in.

Respects...Joe

You really needed to ask the Regional Captain. Or ask the director of that chapter..

All we can do is speculate. So how about calling the chapter director and asking?

Joe,
I TOTALLY get why you'd feel this way.....

BUT!!!

Ask yourself these questions:

How did the FAMILY of the deceased feel?

Was it possible that the deceased would have wanted it done, or maybe even specifically directed it to be done?

There are so many things that can and do get stipulated in wills now-a-days, and if it was that person's wishes, then I'm sure you'd set your feelings aside, right?

There are a thousand questions that could be asked. Bottom line is any PGR business should be conducted after the mission. Mission first.

Respects..Joe

There are a thousand questions that could be asked. Bottom line is any PGR business should be conducted after the mission. Mission first.

Respects..Joe

I agree here. That was not only low class but very disrespectful of the family and the deceased. Why wasn't he called on doing it?

I agree here. That was not only low class but very disrespectful of the family and the deceased. Why wasn't he called on doing it?

I don't know how to say this without making someone angry. There are some, in "positions" that I have come across that have the attitude, My way or the highway. I was seeing red when this was going on. I left. I'm afraid there would have been a disruption that the mission did not need.

Some may say I should have stayed to finish the mission. In my eyes a great disrespect had been shown to the fallen hero and his family. I wanted no part of it.

Some will tell me to get out of the PGR... I may. But what ever you think or say about me...so be it. The issue is the actions at the funeral were WRONG!

Respects...Joe

Respects..Joe

I hate to take the side opposite to you on this but... What is the chapter position on it? You do realize that the chapter has to support itself. And the members only buy so much stuff....

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but they were not selling the stuff on the steps of the church, right? I'm sure it was in the parking lot or somewhere away from the actual mission...

You may not like how the organization choose to support itself, but that's their decision. The only thing you can do is not be a member, or try and change this policy from within.

What the Guard does is a good thing. I see no problem selling Guard items to support the organization at a mission. As long as it's not on the church steps...

Remember, this is the only time the guard chapter has a public presence. Or would be prefer them to be selling their items at Walmart like the Girl Scouts or a local high school cheerleader team?

Have you though that people may purchase an item to remember the mission? Someone may purchase a flag, if they were selling flags, to place next to a loved one's marker? Or thought to themselves, "I'm going to purchase a T-shirt, hat or whatever, to help support this wonderful organization! I'm so glad they were here today!"

How do you feel about selling t-shirts and hats at the traveling memorial like the Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall? Just curious....

Chime in.
Respects...Joe

I understand everyones views on this subject and the points of view are good ones.
But, I gotta go with Joe.
It is perception. The PGR does what it does out of respect. Period. If may be perceived by someone at the funeral or the public outside seeing "bikers" sell something for profit (perception) at a heroes funeral. While we know and the family may know profit isn't the goal, others may not. The PGR supports itself from within.
If a PGR rider himself questions the actions, what about the people who know nothing about the organization?
How can the PGR show respect in the future when possibly viewed today as opportunistic to be selling items to support itself at a soldiers funeral? There are venues to be used to sell items and recruit members.
Another thing, the PGR does not advertise, but word of mouth about a perceived indiscretion may keep the PGR from being invited to provide an honor guard later.
My opinion.

Don't much care how you attempt to justify it - this is just wrong. There shouldn't be anyone selling stuff or doing anything to make a profit AT the funeral. An obit in the paper can ask for contributions in lieu of flowers or something along those lines, but at the funeral or enroute to the cemetary or at the cemetary - NO WAY!

Doc,

Those that would view it in the way you describe would probably not ask the guard to be at a funeral anyway.

And besides, how do you know the family did not authorize it. I have seen organization "sell" items at funernal runs. And usually some, it not most, of the proceeds go to the family.

Again, if Redfish objects to this policy, he needs to change it, voice his opinion to that chapter, or leave the chapter..

I see everyone's point. I have been on guard missions, I'm a member. I see no problem with it. As long as is not done on the church steps.

Back