free website stats program Petcock Problems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Petcock Problems?

Kansasjase

While troubleshooting some issues with my Fatty, I removed the petcock so I could clean the fuel filter. I put it back on, reconnected the lines and now when I fire up the bike, fuel sprays out of the small hole on the bottom of the petcock. What's happening here?

There is a hole or leak allowing fuel to get on the side opposite where it's supposed to be. There is also a small "weep" vent hole to allow normal air pressure to the side opposite the vacumm side, also a handy indicator servicer uses to check internal conditions hidden bearing and seals, moisture or leaking fluid here tells you internal seal / vent has leakage means service or replacement is needed before it dumps all the fluid.

Last edited:
While troubleshooting some issues with my Fatty, I removed the petcock so I could clean the fuel filter. I put it back on, reconnected the lines and now when I fire up the bike, fuel sprays out of the small hole on the bottom of the petcock. What's happening here?

Assume you have the vacuum operated valve. See #189 here:

FUEL TANK - 2002 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy FLSTF

Not sure what is happening with yours. Before replacing it (if that is what is necessary), I suggest replacing the vacuum operated valve with a Pingel non-vacuum version. You will have to plug the vacuum nipple. See here:

Power-Flo™ Fuel Valves

TQ

Back