free website stats program Perhaps Harley Has A Wobble Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Perhaps Harley Has A Wobble Problem

Fossil

Harley-Davidson has reached an eleventh-hour settlement with a former Chicago firefighter who sued the company for product liability after a riding accident left him paralyzed.

Jim McMahon, 53, claimed a design defect caused his front wheel to wobble while he was riding in Arizona in 2004. The accident left him paralyzed from the chest down. He requires round-the-clock care.

Harley’s attorneys claimed it was the result of rider error. The parties reached a settlement today. The jury had been deliberating since Monday and had alerted the judge they might hang, according to Chicago Breaking News. Most likely that would have led to a second trial.

Very interesting, we need to track this and if we can gather the correct info add it to our self help section, Capital Jack

Not all litigation is setteled because the defendent is guilty. Most large companies carry secondary coverage, that covers settelments over a certain amount, say $2,000,000. With jury trials settelment amounts can and do exceed what is just or resonable. If a settelment can be made to both parties satisfaction this is usually the lesser evil, with neither party admitting guilt.

Not all litigation is setteled because the defendent is guilty. Most large companies carry secondary coverage, that covers settelments over a certain amount, say $2,000,000. With jury trials settelment amounts can and do exceed what is just or resonable. If a settelment can be made to both parties satisfaction this is usually the lesser evil, with neither party admitting guilt.

Does not mean Hd did anything wrong .
Our company gets sued everytime some fool parks on a railroad track and get hits by a train.
Prove it 100% in court the jury still gives them money.
So that has nothing to do with weather Hd has a problem or not.

Plus there is always the gag order so we may never know all the facts or monies awarded, Capital Jack

Which model Harley was he riding? If it were truly a design defect, everyone riding that model would have that problem. Any mention of "excessive speed"? I wouldn't say Harleys have the stiffest front ends, but any I've ridden you could take your hands off the bars at any speed.

I have never had a Harley wobble on me but settling out of court may have some repurcusions. Remember that lawyer who was asking every Harley rider if they had experienced a rear tire blow out. He had one guy who claimed his blew out. This lawyer was looking for a class action case in which he gets the money and the victims get discount coupons. Look at all the tv adds for "If you have been injured, heart attack, etc. call the law offices of Rip em and Money banks. This could have the same effect on Harley.

Back