free website stats program Performance Heads - Manufactured or custom ported? | Harley Davidson Forums

Performance Heads - Manufactured or custom ported?

airdrie

I'm planning on a 95" upgrade to my '06 Heritage and am now aware that this is the best time to look at updating the heads to match the increase in displacement. There are a couple of shops nearby that specialize in head porting which I have learned involves grinding, welding and polishing the ports to improve the flow of fuel in and exhaust out. Coming from a product design and manufacture background, I wonder if a better choice would be to go with a proven performance head design that is in production. Doing searches on the net, it appears that there are hundreds of shops that have ported thousands of heads. There are also production designs for performance heads on the market. Which is the better way to go and why? Thanks. :33:

I was planning on boring my existing cylinders which seemed to be a low risk and more economical. The heads however involve what I'd consider design changes. I've seen the S&S heads and SE heads online. They seem to cost more than getting my existing heads ported and polished. The builders I've spoken to claim that they need to "match" the components of the build which can't be done via catalog shopping. Does head porting really need to be that customized for the bike and build of jugs, cams etc.?

I was planning on boring my existing cylinders which seemed to be a low risk and more economical. The heads however involve what I'd consider design changes. I've seen the S&S heads and SE heads online. They seem to cost more than getting my existing heads ported and polished. The builders I've spoken to claim that they need to "match" the components of the build which can't be done via catalog shopping. Does head porting really need to be that customized for the bike and build of jugs, cams etc.?

To some extent yes.. but if you have say the cam specs for lift etc they can go from there also the type of pistons you plan to use and the compression ratio ..
Main thing is try to stick to same maker of parts S&S heads S&S cams and so on

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I've already got Woods TW6G cams installed. I'll followup with a couple of shops for quotes/recommendations over the next couple of weeks.

Use your own 06 heads and have them done up by a good shop. The 06 heads were a good part. Parts do have to be matched in a build to get the best results from it. Cams and compression ratios as well as squish and a number of other things have to work together for the best results. You would also want to have the heads CC'd too which should be done by the head service doing your heads.

I would look @ NRHS to do your heads they are top notch at working on v twin motors.
You can find them @ nrhsperformance.com
I am new to this site but have read only good on the xl forum and they now have my heads and jugs doing a 1212 conversion on my sporty.

Go with WFO Larrys Heads or BigBoyz heads, they will do you a good, you could use ShortBlockCharlie, he does excellent work and a good 5 angle valve job won't hurt either. :bigsmiley12:

Back