free website stats program Performance difference between ThunderHeaders and V&H Big Shots? | Harley Davidson Forums

Performance difference between ThunderHeaders and V&H Big Shots?

CRCKR

I'm at a complete standstill here... I have the cash so looking for advice.

2012 FXDC Superglide "Custom" ( why is it called Custom out of the factory, because it is SO customizable?)

Goal: 8-10 hour ride days in 110+ ambient heat (Yes, the ol' lady got a Mustang seat for her birthday, 2nd best gift she ever got according to her.)

Concerns: I LOVE the look of the V&H Big Shots but think that the 2:1 Thunderheaders sound better/deeper

To the Question: When I add the Big Bore Kit and S&S Cams, what do you suppose the performance difference will be? I'm in Northern Arizona so most of my rides are not traffic heavy. Around NAZ to Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and south to Mexico mainly on any given weekend.

Yeah, I think that's it. I know....decide what I want and get it. I DO want to maximize power while loving sound, though.

I put Rush Wrath Stepped header ceramic coated 2 into 1 on mine with a big louie pipe on it with 2 and 1/2 inch baffle. Way better with riding all day getting that noise behind me. They sound good too. Can also get them in 3 inch baffle!

This is my opinion. Thunderheaders are good hp/tq pipes. But they are loud. I have two friends that have/had them on baggers (bags shield some of the noise). One thought he loved them, but changed his mind on our 3,500 mile Sturgis ride, and changed them right after we returned. I was one of the group that stayed 1/4 mile behind him. The other guy has never ridden more than 200 miles in a day, and still likes his TH. If your going to spend the $$ for big bore and cams, I would look for a more performance oriented pipe than the Big Shots.

The Thunderheader is not for everyone. It is loud and will give most a headache after a 500 mile day but to answer your question, if looking for dyno numbers, the T/H will out perform the Big Shots but remember that you aren't riding the dyno chart.;) There are a couple of 2:2 options that will perform as well as the T/H that also sound good; Rinehart Crossbacks and Bassani Pro Streets. The Crossback head pipe is stepped and so is the Pro Street but you have to find the right set as some of the Pro Streets do not have the stepped head pipe.

I ran the V&H Propipe and the Python 3 on a hot 95" motor and both were OK except at highway cruise; the drone became annoying after a few miles. Replaced them with a set of Pro Streets and problem solved with no loss of power; might have actually picked up a couple of HP.;)

Back