free website stats program Pegs vs. floor boards and heel/toe shifter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pegs vs. floor boards and heel/toe shifter

My super glide has pegs and forward controls. I love them. I rest my ankles on them and let my feet hang while riding. I ride around 160 miles aday and about 130 of that is on the highway with ankles resting on pegs.

how does your superglide do on the highway? have you ever ridden a touring bike for comparison?

it does great on the highway. i have no complains. i have road a few touring bikes but not long enough nor on the highway to make that call.

By the way, to date I have done mostly around town riding, but having just added a sundowner seat and detachable windshield to the XL, I'm hoping to do some longer trips. Either way, I am not an aggressive rider by any means, so I am not concerned with reduced leaning clearance if I happen to get a bike with floor boards.

regards,
Drew

Yep, you're on the slippery slope. Windshield, better seat, next up will be saddlebags and there you are with a mini bagger, next stop a touring bike. Don't fight it. Happens to all of us. As for me - traded in my bagger sporty for a Road King. Floorboards and heel and toe shifting rock. Never looked back.

What ever you do if you end up buying a tourer with boards is not to remove the heel shifter. It's damn dangerous. I've seen a couple of guys do it and miss shift, have terrible cramps while riding and shift as if they were using pegs. Heel/Toe takes a little getting used to but once you've adjusted your shifters to your riding style touring with boards will be a pleasure. My last three HDs had boards and apart from some mild scraping, I had no dramas keeping pace with those riding with pegs.

What ever you do if you end up buying a tourer with boards is not to remove the heel shifter. It's damn dangerous. I've seen a couple of guys do it and miss shift, have terrible cramps while riding and shift as if they were using pegs. Heel/Toe takes a little getting used to but once you've adjusted your shifters to your riding style touring with boards will be a pleasure. My last three HDs had boards and apart from some mild scraping, I had no dramas keeping pace with those riding with pegs.

First bike (25 years ago) was pegs.... Now I have a RK w/ boards. Rode it for almost 6 years (after IMMEDIATELY removing the heel shifter!).

Now I put highway pegs on it, and rarely use the boards!

PS, Suffer no cramps from toe shifting only... never have. And I use the bike in heavy commuting traffic, with LOTS of shifts and stop and go, for almost an hour!

My EGC is the first bike I ever had with floorboard and heel/toe shifter,at first I found it a bit weird and was only using my toe to shift then I got used to it now I would never go back to pegs , the only mod I did was to get rid of the stock heel shifter and install a kick away letting me move my foot more on longer trips

My EGC is the first bike I ever had with floorboard and heel/toe shifter,at first I found it a bit weird and was only using my toe to shift then I got used to it now I would never go back to pegs , the only mod I did was to get rid of the stock heel shifter and install a kick away letting me move my foot more on longer trips

My setup does not use heel & toe shifting, and is probably unconventional, but with only forward controls and pegs; I installed Kuryakin ISO Mini-Wing floorboards (suggested by Hobbit) for the mid position...and after a recent 1000 mile ride, I really like the flexibility of forward controls, and mid floorboards. No cramping or discomfort even with this long ride (each 500 mile leg was 6 hours, only stopping to gas up). I'm sold on the floorboards regarding comfort...still don't know about heel/toe shifter however. :6:

Back