free website stats program Pegs vs. floor boards and heel/toe shifter | Harley Davidson Forums

Pegs vs. floor boards and heel/toe shifter

Drew

for those of you have ridden bikes both with pegs, and floorboards w/ heel/toe shifter, which one do you prefer?

sometime at the end of this riding season, or the beginning of next, I will be test riding a bunch of different bikes to see if I should replace my sportster (which I love, but is also the only bike I have ever ridden). I know the pegs vs. floorboards thing will be an individual thing, but I'm still interested in hearing others experiences.

thanks
Drew

for me it depends on how you ride. My flht has boards and I like them for long trips. A lot more comfortable for long saddle time as they support your feet and legs better. On my chop I use pegs cause I don't go long distance on the rigid any more and I find them faster on and off for around town driving. I did add heal stirrups for a little more support and like them. As to heal and toe shfters I love em and the can be put on any model not just dressers. A lot less wear and tear on the toe of your boots....

Oh yeah.....the seed has been planted. I was there 8 or 9 months ago. Riding a 1200 Sporty and really liking it but then I got thinking about a Big Twin for more 2 up riding and interstate/long distance comfort. Trust me, it's all over - be gentle with your Sporty as you ease her out the door!

As stated, I love the overall comfort and support the boards give you and I've used the heel/toe shifter so much I can't even remember what it was like to shift the other way.

Enjoy your search for a new "perfect Harley!"

My Deluxe has floorboards and a heel & toe shifter.My t595 has rearsets & my xl 500 has your basic footpeg and single shifter

I've found that as i ride each bike i adapt to each's idiosyncratic set ups.The floorboards initially feel great,then you start to wonder about having to bend your legs to fit.And the footpegs start off good,but then you cant drape your feet or move them around.

I'm happy with each set up on each individual bike.(but as a footnote,i think all Harleys should have floorboards.)

Newbie here -- my first post. Glad to see this thread as this is one of the questions I am trying to settle before deciding on a bike. I like them both--pegs and boards.

I'd like pegs, I think, for around town hops and boards for the longer cruises. My question is: Is it easy, or even possible, to swap boards and pegs on the same bike for different uses?

I can easily see keeping the pegs on for several days for short errands and rides but then replacing them with boards for the longer rides, then back to the pegs for nearby trips.

Thoughts? Advice?

I have floor boards now and had pegs on my Night Train..I like the pegs better because I could rest my ankles over the pegs and let my feet dangle when I was on the highway. Now keep in mind the controls on the NT were forward controls .I dont know what is on your sporty.I put Highway pegs and tilted them down and back toward the floor boards on the Road king and it feels like the NT but not quite as good to me.

Once you have tried floorboards, there ain't no goin back.

Ps, Your sporty is like your first girlfriend. You'll miss her, but not for long........:D

Thanks for the replies. The three bikes that have my attention most at this point are the dyna superglide custom, fatbob (both with pegs) and road king/road king classic (seems like the best of both worlds for around town and long trip capabilities). I also like the softail deluxe, though the handle bars make me feel a little cramped (I am 6'1" with average length arms for someone that height). I love the whitewall tires on the rk classic and st deluxe!

I will be interested to see how these three bikes stack up against the sporty. I am assuming they will feel VERY different!

By the way, to date I have done mostly around town riding, but having just added a sundowner seat and detachable windshield to the XL, I'm hoping to do some longer trips. Either way, I am not an aggressive rider by any means, so I am not concerned with reduced leaning clearance if I happen to get a bike with floor boards.

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The three bikes that have my attention most at this point are the dyna superglide custom, fatbob (both with pegs) and road king/road king classic (seems like the best of both worlds for around town and long trip capabilities). I also like the softail deluxe, though the handle bars make me feel a little cramped (I am 6'1" with average length arms for someone that height). I love the whitewall tires on the rk classic and st deluxe!

I will be interested to see how these three bikes stack up against the sporty. I am assuming they will feel VERY different!

By the way, to date I have done mostly around town riding, but having just added a sundowner seat and detachable windshield to the XL, I'm hoping to do some longer trips. Either way, I am not an aggressive rider by any means, so I am not concerned with reduced leaning clearance if I happen to get a bike with floor boards.
regards,
Drew

The floor boards are hinged. When you first hear the scraping, you actually have more lean available if you can train yourself to "ride through it" and keep leaning. I'm like you, a cruiser and not a sport rider. I've rubbed the boards on my Street Glide maybe 3 or 4 times in 4,000 miles, just barely each time.

My super glide has pegs and forward controls. I love them. I rest my ankles on them and let my feet hang while riding. I ride around 160 miles aday and about 130 of that is on the highway with ankles resting on pegs.

Back