free website stats program Passing lamp adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Passing lamp adjustment

zoood

Product Contributor
I personally hate the HD design for the Passing Lamps on my 1993 Trike build. It's hard enough to adjust each lamp individually and to have them shine together on the same parallel and perpendicular to the ground. Plus I have a 21" wheel, 2" over stock length tubes and a 5&1/2 degree rake. Even with my product the Bike Shades on. The lamps were still aiming a little too high. So I decided to tackle this problem.

581142_4988556149139_124373038_n.jpg

These are the notorious typical pain to adjust passing lamps. I decided to modify this lighting set-up. It's tough enough trying to get both passing lamps to look level with each other. My new modification allows me to adjust the height of the passing lamps beams together.

6005_4988556109138_128324868_n.jpg

This area that I'm pointing too. The back side of this chrome bar comes in contact with the front of the fairing. Though not shown at this time. I have removed a 4" length section out of the back of the bar. It still has its strength, but to ensure this wouldn't change. I filled the area I removed with JB weld. This now allows the required spacing I would need to push this passing lamp set-up backwards. Which in turn makes the lamps shine downwards. The section I removed does not show. The mounting bar looks just as it always does.

75520_4988554309093_1479119247_n.jpg

The encircled area is where I had elongated the lower mounting holes of the passing lamp bracket. I did this to the lower hole on each side of the passing lamps mount. This will allow me to adjust the height of the passing lamps beams together.

zoood/RJ

Now with this new way to adjust my passing lamps. I found that it's easier to adjust one passing lamp. Aim it where it should be. Then remove the entire mounting bracket with the passing lamps attached. Lay the lenses down on a covered table or smooth rubber mat so the chrome doesn't get scratched.

With the passing lamp that I previously adjusted, with its face laying flat on the mat. I then adjust the other lamp to lay the same on the mat. After I tighten that up. I will remount the setup back on the bike. With the new adjustment/modifications I did previously in this post. I can now adjust or fine tune the height of the lamps together.

zoood

Now with this new way to adjust my passing lamps. I found that it's easier to adjust one passing lamp. Aim it where it should be. Then remove the entire mounting bracket with the passing lamps attached. Lay the lenses down on a covered table or smooth rubber mat so the chrome doesn't get scratched.

With the passing lamp that I previously adjusted, with its face laying flat on the mat. I then adjust the other lamp to lay the same on the mat. After I tighten that up. I will remount the setup back on the bike. With the new adjustment/modifications I did previously in this post. I can now adjust or fine tune the height of the lamps together.

zoood

WOW what a difference! The passing lamps light up the roadway just under where my low beam's lighting stops and to the frontal sides of the trike's front end. Im a firm believer that the bar I modified was mainly attached between the two passing lamps for production assembly purposes. With the two lamps as one assembly. It would be a piece of cake for someone on the assembly line to install.

zoood

Back