free website stats program Passenger signals | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger signals

twoup

Hope this isn't a repeat.

As most of us that ride twoup always have the same passenger, do you have
set signals/warnings between passenger/pilot?

We, my wife and I, have a few to start.

After she has mounted and has gotten comfortable, she taps me on my
sides with both hands which means she is ready to go.

When she sees a deer she will immediately thrust her arm out straight at my shoulder with her index finger pointing directly at the deer. Left arm for deer on left right arm for deer on right. Same signal for cow, moose......

Two taps high on left arm means "clear on left" (during a head check)
Two taps on right.......

Taps on back of my helmet means "that was funny".

Single, slightly harder tap on left side of helmet "that was funny, don't do it again".

Harder taps on right side of helmet means "slow down" or "don't do that again, not funny!".

Right cross after dismount means "I'm a little upset and she wasn't that cute"

What signals do you and your passenger make to each other?

ride safe

Hope this isn't a repeat.

As most of us that ride twoup always have the same passenger, do you have
set signals/warnings between passenger/pilot?

We, my wife and I, have a few to start.

After she has mounted and has gotten comfortable, she taps me on my
sides with both hands which means she is ready to go.

When she sees a deer she will immediately thrust her arm out straight at my shoulder with her index finger pointing directly at the deer. Left arm for deer on left right arm for deer on right. Same signal for cow, moose......

Two taps high on left arm means "clear on left" (during a head check)
Two taps on right.......

Taps on back of my helmet means "that was funny".

Single, slightly harder tap on left side of helmet "that was funny, don't do it again".

Harder taps on right side of helmet means "slow down" or "don't do that again, not funny!".

Right cross after dismount means "I'm a little upset and she wasn't that cute"

What signals do you and your passenger make to each other?

ride safe

The first few make sense...

The last few are why all my bikes are setup solo and my wife rides her own!

We ride as a twosome.... wife rides her own or a foursome, another couple who also ride their own. Have traveled on long trips or just an all day ride. All of us use hand signals to alert each other of our intentions or to a possible danger. Everything from turn signals to lane changes every move we make has a signal and so far accident free. All of us enjoy riding and look forward to when we are planning a trip, but nothing is better than arriving back home safe.

My wife would love to ride her own bike but unfortunately she
experiences vertigo when approaching a vista or steep terrain,
so _two_ wheels are out but let me tell ya..
she can rip up the dirt on an atv!

Guess my post was directed mostly to riders with passengers.
Most of us know signal/communication for group rides. If you
don't, there are many web sites that explain them, with illustrations.

ride safe

My wife would love to ride her own bike but unfortunately she
experiences vertigo when approaching a vista or steep terrain,
so _two_ wheels are out but let me tell ya..
she can rip up the dirt on an atv!

That's why HD now makes OEM trikes! It may not be 2 wheels, but it's still in the wind...

When I can not longer do it 2 wheels only, I'll be converting one or more of my riders over to a trike...

I may also have to convert my Ducati over to a sidecar racer to continue doing track days. That could be some good fun!

I have the intercom setup also so my wife just tells me when I am making a mistake or if she needs to stop for something. She is really good at picking out the deer on the side of the road though, and getting that information conveyed. The hand signals do sound accurate though.

have rider to pillion comms unit so we talk when she is not sleeping

Not a safe practice...remember reading way back somewhere about a chick who fell asleep on the back of a bike, fell off and was messed up bad.

For what it's worth...

Moe.

Hobbit's wife has some physical problems... just so you know. I am impressed and it is an inspiration for me to suck it and and keep on keeping on. I pray that she continues to enjoys riding and hope she can for a long time....

Only have three signals. A hit to the shoulder means stop it. A smack to the back of the head is quit being an idiot. A hug and squeeze of the thighs means shes enjoying the ride.

Back