free website stats program Passenger Foot Heat | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger Foot Heat

You might also try a company called "Fullsac". They sell a kit to modify your stock system to create duals and you can keep the stock mufflers it doesn't require a MAP or SERT of the ECM, my kit was $218 to my house got the silver ceramic coat. Took me a Friday night of three hours to get done. I love it, wife says it's much better, I even noticed less heat riding to and from work.

Type in fullsac into any search engine they should come up.

I wrapped my pipes with header wrap. I took the heat shields off and wrapped the pipes then put the heat shiels back over the wrap, it worked fine. It is a little harder putting the shields back but they did fit and you can't see the wrap. It dramaticly cut down on the heat comming off of the pipes and it also helps with HP and efficency. I talked to the manufacturer of my pipes "Sampson" Model Caliber two into one, and the tech told me it was a good thing to do and would not hurt the pipes or bike. Some people it can melt the pipes but the tech assured me it wouldn't hurt. You can buy the header wrap at most auto stores or speed shops. Just follow the directions. The ceramic coating is great also. Hope that helps.

I wrapped my pipes with header wrap. I took the heat shields off and wrapped the pipes then put the heat shiels back over the wrap, it worked fine. It is a little harder putting the shields back but they did fit and you can't see the wrap. It dramaticly cut down on the heat comming off of the pipes and it also helps with HP and efficency. I talked to the manufacturer of my pipes "Sampson" Model Caliber two into one, and the tech told me it was a good thing to do and would not hurt the pipes or bike. Some people it can melt the pipes but the tech assured me it wouldn't hurt. You can buy the header wrap at most auto stores or speed shops. Just follow the directions. The ceramic coating is great also. Hope that helps.

I think it will keep the heat in the pipes and distort/crack them,but that is just my opinion,please post how your pipes are doing after a full summer of riding.
The ceramic coating is a much better option,it allows the heat to dissipitate throughout allowing the metal to cool at a natural pace,not creating hot spots.

BTW,I have a degree in metallurgy and it urks me when a rep. for a company assures someone that "it wouldn't hurt"

I agree, but he said that it wouldn't alter the molecular structure of thier pipes. They had run it before.
I know a couple of guy's that have run the wrap on thier bikes for a couple of years now and they haven't had any problems yet. They don't run the shields though, I wouldn't think that would change anything. I think a cheap set of pipes might look like you put a blow torch to them after a couple of hot days with the wrap. I do like the ceramic stuff better, It has been years since I used the ceramic goop and I had a problem with the baffles, I probably didn't read the directions. It was the kind you pour inside the pipes and let it set.
I always heard if you were going to use the ceramic you should do it on the pipes before you install them"preferbly when they are new". I don't know if that is true about coating a used set though.

I'll let you know how mine hold up. It would be a good excuse to buy a new set of Vance & Hines. PS don't tell my wife I said that.

Back