free website stats program Passenger floorboard just fell off | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger floorboard just fell off

spartacus55

Went home to pick up my wife for a ride on my 2007 Road King (flhr, As she went to get on the bike she noticed much to my chagrin that the pass. floorboard was completely gone. It was there the day before, my first thought was someone stole it then i realized it probably just vibrated off. It turns out 250.00 clams later for the pan, chrome arm, and chrome cover the mechanic tells me the bolt just sheared off. It's supposed to be a grade A bolt how does it just shear off. Anyone else have a similar problem. ps. I was down in ocean city md. for the delmarva rally and i remember going down a driverway when a cager cut me off and i wound up going down a 5 or 6 inch curb and bottoming out but i just can't see how this would of caused the bolt to shear off a week later.

Not had this issue on my 08 but have heard some were torqued too tight from the factory. I have taken mine off (they were very tight) and tightened them per specs..never had a problem. Also, I do a pre-flight before I ride, check to make sure all the lights are working. I also now check the passenger floor boards make sure they are tight. hate to lose one of those when riding with friends.

If you hit that curb a sharp hit like that can fracture a grade 8 bolt that has been over torqued. Last summer, while riding late at night, a deer came out of a ditch and hit the right side of the bike. The impact sheered a grade 8 blot on my floorboard.

I guess it is kind of a sad commentary, but most of today's riders only notice that fasteners are loose or need tightening when it falls off the bike. Everyone should do themselves a favor today: go out and check your bike over for items that need tightening. Check your tires for nails too. You might save yourself some grief down the road. These bikes shake like a dog passing a peach seed, so stuff just gets loose.

In 2005 I rode my brand new 2005 Road King to Sturgis and as I pulled into the Mt. Rushmore parking lot a guy came running over to me with a passenger floorboard in his hand and said it had fallen off of my bike back about a mile previous. It was the left side floorboard and the bolt had sheared off. At that point, I had never had any passengers that had used the passenger floorboard. My guess was that the service done at the delivery of the bike weaken the bolt.

Cheap hardware? Maybe so.

On mine the bolt is in the FB clamp. If yours are the same, how did machanic know the bolt was broke if (spartacuss55) lost the board?

Back