free website stats program Parts Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Parts Help

timaloy

I took my bike into the dealers yesterday. stator checked out ok so the tech took the derby cover off and showed me the rotor slipping when he rolled the motor over. HD cost for this is 400 for the rotor, anyone know where to by the comparible part cheaper?

$400 for just the rotor. To me that is impossible. Maybe part & labor,, but just the part?

Thanks, I have more tools than Snap-On and am a Millwright so I'll be doing it myself but with maybe a little help from people who haved done it before I'll be ok

$400 for just the rotor. To me that is impossible. Maybe part & labor,, but just the part?
Nope, that was for what they called "The Alternator kit" through Deely, labour not bad at 240 but their killing me on the parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have more tools than Snap-On and am a Millwright so I'll be doing it myself but with maybe a little help from people who haved done it before I'll be ok

Well, you've certainly found the right forum for that. Dozens, if not hundreds, of extremely knowledgeable folks here to help you out whenever you ask!

Nope, that was for what they called "The Alternator kit" through Deely, labour not bad at 240 but their killing me on the parts

I can buy a Complete Screaming Eagle Compensator that comes with a New Rotor for $249.
And that is MSRP. It can be gotten for $200 flat.

Unless your year/model is "one of a kind" and the part fits only 1 year, I can not see just the Rotor (part only) costing $400.

The word "kit" may include the Stator which he will keep because yours is still Good..:D

Something is just not right. Go to a parts manual and look up the part number of your rotor NOT as a kit.

The other part I don't understand is the "slipping" of the rotor. If it was slipping, the noise would be terrible. I realize you only wanted a source for a lower cost part so you did not give details on why you were replacing it/charging issue/regulator etc but the whole thing just makes no sense to me.

Now our friends in Canada may have to pay that price. Is that where you are from.

I took my bike into the dealers yesterday. stator checked out ok so the tech took the derby cover off and showed me the rotor slipping when he rolled the motor over. HD cost for this is 400 for the rotor, anyone know where to by the comparible part cheaper?

I guess I'm lost here. If you take the derby cover off aren't you looking at the clutch? How can you tell if the "rotor" whatever that is, is slipping?

I guess I'm lost here. If you take the derby cover off aren't you looking at the clutch? How can you tell if the "rotor" whatever that is, is slipping?

You are correct. Hopefully he meant that the helpful tech had taken the outer primary cover off!

Great point Don...At least on my ride I can not see the rotor from the Derby cover.

I am beginning to think the word "kit" include a complete new compensator.
Which is fine because there is nothing wrong with installing a new compensator but even then $400 seems like a lot of dough to me.

Back