free website stats program parking | Harley Davidson Forums

parking

leedham

Hi gang,

I'm kinda wondering when you all park your pride and joy, which direction do you turn the front wheel. I was always under the impression that turning to the left is proper in the rare instance that your master cylinder should decide to drip its precious fluid on your paint. And I always thought they look "better" turned to the left. Now this originated back in the day before DOT 5. Maybe a good thread for a pol but I don't know how to create one. Anyway, have fun riding !!!

MSF Motorcycle class taught me to turn it to the left and to mount and dismount from that side...Still do it...

On two wheels, To the left, If you leave it to the right your take some of the weight off the kickstand ; Think tip over:56:
Now on my T/G, Whats a kickstand:D

I always park with the front wheel up hill and turned to the left i have in the past had a bike roll forward and the side stand fold when parked facing down hill that was many years ago so i always look for the nose up park even though the Harley side stand locks old habits die hard

Brian

I park with the back wheel against the curb or close to it, front wheel pointing up hill and leaning down hill on the jiffy stand with the front wheel locked to the left. On those rare occasions where that side of the street is NO PARKING, then I would park front wheel to the curb or near it, but still up hill, leaning down hill with wheel locked to the left, BUT the tranny left in first gear.

TQ

I always park with the bars turned full left and locked for added weight and stability on the side stand. If the parking area is sloped, I try to park with the side stand on the down hill slope for the same reason.

Getting on and off? I know motor cops are taught to always mount and dismount from the right/high side. They do it for uniformity in case several are mounting up simultaneously and, if a boot inadvertently catches the seat hard enough during the mounting, it won't knock the bike over. Personally, I don't have a side I use 100% of the time.

I always back in to the curb, wheel turned full left to the lock, getting on I mount from the right. At work I park in the parking garage backed up to the concrete pillar, My bike got hit from behind once never again:rider

:(I always park with the wheel to the left and the fork locked, something to help insure "Blue" is there when I return. That isn't much of a problem today, It's -5 with white stuff everywhere and my baby is tethered to her battery tender and hiding under her cover!

Back