free website stats program Parking on downgrade or upgrade ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Parking on downgrade or upgrade ???

dangerdan

In the last year I have only riden my Harley 1 week because of maintenance problems , now hopefully that will end in 2 weeks when I get the bike certifide.

I am looking for opinions on how to safely park on an upgrade or down grade as this is a 700 lb bike. My 370 lb Honda was never an issue.

1) Leave it in first or last gear.
2) Live it in neutral and use the sidewalk .
3) Would you recomend using the side walk to stop the bike rolling.
4) Use the steering lock when parking on a down grade.
5) What if there is no side walk ?
6) Use a bungi cord to hold the front brake lever in.:small3d023:
7) Wish this thing had a parking brake. :small3d023:

All opinions welcome :) :)

Last edited:
I agree - always shut it down and leave it in first gear.

Also, and I learned this the hard way, ALWAYS think about how you are going to pull out of the parking spot. NEVER park front wheel in first on a downhill slope into a curb unless you have 2 or 3 friends to help push you out!

I agree - always shut it down and leave it in first gear.

Also, and I learned this the hard way, ALWAYS think about how you are going to pull out of the parking spot. NEVER park front wheel in first on a downhill slope into a curb unless you have 2 or 3 friends to help push you out!

Right! Matter of fact, I suggest parking with the bike facing up hill (even if that is the wrong way). I would not "parallel" park the bike facing straight down or up hill. Stop the bike facing up hill and back it into the curb. If this puts the bike too upright, park on the other side of the street. If you can't do that, drive it UP HILL into the curb. You want the bike leaning over enough that it won't fall over if someone accidently walks into it. Always leave it in gear on a hill. First gear. If you do not have a curb, same thing applies, just don't back or drive it into the ditch!!

TQ

Smitty 901 and TQ have it right. Speaking of the kick-stand coasters, I have one of those coiled cords attached to my coaster which I hook on my my handlebars...it's so easy to forget those things!

Touring models when placing back wheel aginst curb make sure pipes clear befor you lean bike over another thing to watch for. They may clear when you back up to it but once you lean over cruch time in the pipe

Smitty knows of what he speaks! Wish I'd have read this earlier. Pulled into a Wendy's for lunch after riding all morning today and the only shady parking spot was way in the back corner. I had to back my bike up almost all the way to the curb to maximize the shade. When I came back out, I noticed my pipes were mere fractions of an inch from laying on the curb! Got away with one today!

Smitty knows of what he speaks! Wish I'd have read this earlier. Pulled into a Wendy's for lunch after riding all morning today and the only shady parking spot was way in the back corner. I had to back my bike up almost all the way to the curb to maximize the shade. When I came back out, I noticed my pipes were mere fractions of an inch from laying on the curb! Got away with one today!

Good one Smitty , never thought about the exhaust.
Great advise guys.

I carry a HD "coaster" in the side back and jury rigged a retractable cord to it. I can then hook the cord to the handle grip and when I get on the bike just reel it in and push it into the side pack. Learned the hard way that once in the seat, retreiving the coaster is very tough.

Other really bad experience I had...twice...was on gravel. I agree with the comment that you never want to pull in to a position that will be too difficult to back out of. I had to "back" out of a slight downgrade while on gravel and my boots kept slipping so I couldn't get any traction. Good think I friends on the ride, or I'd still be up against the fence. Same goes for slow side to side movement on gravel...your feet will slide out and the bike will take you down.

But don't let any of this scare you away...just be aware all the time and make informed decisions before parking the beast. (mine is 810 lbs empty)

BJ:newsmile011:

Touring models when placing back wheel aginst curb make sure pipes clear befor you lean bike over another thing to watch for. They may clear when you back up to it but once you lean over cruch time in the pipe
Also watch out for the pipes while backing in 2 up....almost saw that happen once, but fortunately the guy heard people yelling at him to stop....:s

Also watch out for the pipes while backing in 2 up....almost saw that happen once, but fortunately the guy heard people yelling at him to stop....:s

I always have my passenger hop off before I do any "fancy" maneuvering!

Back