free website stats program pan head on a shovel lower | Harley Davidson Forums

pan head on a shovel lower

hello. im new to the forum, is it possible to put a panhead head on a lower shovel head motor. the motor i have that i want to do this to is a 1979 1340 shovelhead motor , thanks

Welcome from So. Texas. Yes it is do-able. The 66-69 was a Panhead lower unit with Shovel jugs. So the cylinder base bolt pattern is the same. I guess you already have the jugs, heads, and rocker boxes? However I don't remember how the rocker boxes got oil.
tourbox

Yes it's possible, and not real difficult. There are issues with oil passages and oil lines.
If you google "Panheads on shovel cone cases" you will get a lot of information. Some good, some notso good.

Indeed it can be done but the oiling system is way different for the heads Shovels oil with external oil lines, up to 1965 panheads oiled up the push rod tubes, the early oil pumps were not the same either

how would you do the oiling for the pan heads? i want to keep the whole lower shovel complete. i should not have to mess with the lower part at all.

I built a bike from the ground up using '73 cone shovel cases, pan cylinders, and STD panheads...not only is it possible, but that engine was the smoothest running rigid mounted engine I have ever ridden. I didn't build the engine, but I did a lotta work on the top end in recent years, don't have it now, but early on, it was outstanding and didn't leak oil.

Back