free website stats program Painting inner fairing on a electra glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Painting inner fairing on a electra glide

If you dont want to spend that much you can always buy a "dash kit". less than hundred bucks and can be put on in about 30mins.They come in alot of differnt colors, carbon fiber, woodgrain ect... They are not as cool as a painted faring ,but they do look pretty good on some color bikes....

Painting it yourself shouldn't be a problem. As stated above buying a spare inner to work on first and then a quick swap will take the pressure off. I painted my bike myself and of course couldn't do a simple job for a first paint job. I had to do the Cadillac Pearl White. Laying down five coats of base then Pearl then clear on tank, fenders and side covers was alot of work but once you get the hang of it , worked out pretty good. I have had guys ask me to paint their bikes (NO THANKS). The key is to take your time, use good materials (read -Cheap paint wont' work) and do some practice on something else. Make sure you use a primer that is designed for plastic otherwise it will look great but won't stick for long. Good Luck. Nothing looks better then the painted inner fairings.

I paid my painter $30 to paint mine, That is all he asked for. I already had the paint from painting a used tour pak I bought last year. Then the Paint 1pint(Pearl Black),Thinner 1Qt, Hardener 1Qt, & Clear Coat 1Qt all PPG was $160.00 so it takes more time to clean guns then it does to paint. 300 is not all that bad. You should prime, paint, then clearcoat. All takes little time but adds up. If you are doing it yourself it is easy. About 3 hours to remove & reinstall inner fairing. Book says 1.5 hours good luck with that. I had my mirrors done also just for a little more touch.

The color of my bike is sierra red, It looks to me like something that would be pretty darn easy for an experienced painter! Why 300 bucks!!??? Well after carefull consideration, I am gonna have someone else do it! I wont be able to handle it, if I mess something up and im allways gonna see it! That will drive me crazy! Im not happy about it but, what can you do? The appearance that a inner fairing being painted is amazing! So I guess it will be well worth it! Gmurdoc.....30 bucks?
hook me up bud!

ok i finaly talked to my brother. sorry it took so long he is having is first child anytime:D.

anyway he said: wash plastic with dawn or some kind of degreaser. then get rid of soapy water.rinse. then wet sand it with a 400-600 sand paper. then wash with new soap/water. rinse. after dry wipe it down with an alcohol based solution. like rubbing alcohol. then prime. then paint!

Back