Painting Fatboy wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by SE6A, Aug 26, 2014.

1. SE6A

SE6A Member

Hi all, My 1999 softail standard is fitted with Fatboy wheels back and front, I have seen photos where the centre area of the wheels have been painted black, i am looking to do this and wondered if anyone had done this, any particular paint, guessing a matte black, with any undercoat etc, any special preparation?
    I would be leaving the outer edge in polished alloy as it is.....any pointers or tips would be great.

2. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Never done it but don't think the paint will hold up well. Much better to powder coat.

3. Nikko684

Nikko684 Active Member

Powder Coating is much better. You can always search your area for powdercoaters, There is usually a bunch of people who do decent work for a decent price.

4. ccryder

ccryder Member

I've just painted my Fatboy wheels. As a matter of fact, i've got a Heritage Special Construction bike. I bought the solid wheels, sent them out, & had them Waterjet Cut. Then I skuffed them up with 320 & 400 sandpaper. Duplicolor makes an "Acid Etching Primer" for bare metal. Bout 3 coats of that, then painted the centers in the color,"Graphite". Several coats of that, & then shot a few coats of Duplicolor "Clear Polyurathane" on top. Picture 015.jpg
    I'm trying to send a photo. Don't know if it will work.

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Not only did the photo work, the wheels look great ....:s

6. SE6A

SE6A Member

looks great, must have cost you!