free website stats program Painting Fatboy wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Painting Fatboy wheels

SE6A

Hi all, My 1999 softail standard is fitted with Fatboy wheels back and front, I have seen photos where the centre area of the wheels have been painted black, i am looking to do this and wondered if anyone had done this, any particular paint, guessing a matte black, with any undercoat etc, any special preparation?
I would be leaving the outer edge in polished alloy as it is.....any pointers or tips would be great.

Never done it but don't think the paint will hold up well. Much better to powder coat.

Never done it but don't think the paint will hold up well. Much better to powder coat.

Powder Coating is much better. You can always search your area for powdercoaters, There is usually a bunch of people who do decent work for a decent price.

I've just painted my Fatboy wheels. As a matter of fact, i've got a Heritage Special Construction bike. I bought the solid wheels, sent them out, & had them Waterjet Cut. Then I skuffed them up with 320 & 400 sandpaper. Duplicolor makes an "Acid Etching Primer" for bare metal. Bout 3 coats of that, then painted the centers in the color,"Graphite". Several coats of that, & then shot a few coats of Duplicolor "Clear Polyurathane" on top.Picture 015.jpg
I'm trying to send a photo. Don't know if it will work.

I've just painted my Fatboy wheels. As a matter of fact, i've got a Heritage Special Construction bike. I bought the solid wheels, sent them out, & had them Waterjet Cut. Then I skuffed them up with 320 & 400 sandpaper. Duplicolor makes an "Acid Etching Primer" for bare metal. Bout 3 coats of that, then painted the centers in the color,"Graphite". Several coats of that, & then shot a few coats of Duplicolor "Clear Polyurathane" on top.View attachment 15950
I'm trying to send a photo. Don't know if it will work.

looks great, must have cost you!

Back