free website stats program Painting Chrome? | Harley Davidson Forums

Painting Chrome?

Stylz

Is this something I can do myself, or ought I seek out the pros?

I have chrome passenger footpegs, Street Glide style. I'd like to paint the BOTTOM half of them black. The TOP half should remain chrome.

I know the chrome must be sanded first, and then primer, paint, clear... but how to do that and have a nice smooth line between the black and chrome?

Why am I doing this you ask?

I have the black footboard pans for the floorboards, which looks pretty trick -- black on the bottom, and chrome insert. So, I want to see if I can't make the pegs match that in appearance...

Thanks, y'all!

]{evin

Chrome is a very hard finish and you'll have trouble keying the surface for the paint to stick to
but to get a straight line just use masking tape and tape off the part you dint want painted
using a self etching primer may help the paint stick to the chrome

Brian

Thanks for the quick response, Brian.

I have thought about the taping. With so many coats of paint, though -- primer, colour, clear -- won't there be, when the tape is removed, a rather ugly visible thick "ridge" where the line is?

Are there tricks to 'blend' this line down smooth afterwards? Wet sanding?

Clueless in Toronto...

Although I'm not by any means a skilled painter i have done a few bikes and various parts and i wet sand the primer prior to the colour then wet sand the colour prior to applying the clear and use a rubbing compound to smooth off the clear
but even with all that you'll still get a ridge as the paint is going on top of the level that chrome is on
you would have to grind down the surface that your painting then fill with paint to get it smooth could end up a bit messy if you get it wrong

Brian

When you are sanding,lightly sand the chrome that you want to remain there with a 900 grit wet paper,tape off prime and paint the area you want black,then remove the tape,lightly wet sand again to lowerthe tape line and clear it all,including the chrome.I use a urethane clearcoat when I do this and it is very durable and lasts for years.

Don't use masking tape use 1/8 in fine line tape. It is thinner and won't leave as high an edge. When you spray don't spray right up the edge of the tape. Let the overspray reach the edge of the tape. This will help keep the edge down.

Back