free website stats program paint issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

paint issues

Well got the call today. Parts have come back from England and the bike is back together ready for pick up. Now I have to wait till Tuesday to pick her up. :( Well at least it will give me a change to get into the attic to pull out my military artic gear for the ride back from the dealer. :D

Tony

RANT on.
How is it that a rice rocket that is never taken care of has no issues with paint but my HD that is was and taken care of is having issues.

Rant off

Tony

Rice rockets have plastic fenders which don't rust.

If you ride on roads that have lots of loose gravel it will chip the paint on the bottom rear edge of the fenders and that will give rust a place to grab a foothold. I started to notice this on the rear fender of my 07 Dyna. I touched it up and the next time I pull the rear wheel for a tire change I'm going to clean the underside up and undercoat it.

Rice rockets have plastic fenders which don't rust.

If you ride on roads that have lots of loose gravel it will chip the paint on the bottom rear edge of the fenders and that will give rust a place to grab a foothold. I started to notice this on the rear fender of my 07 Dyna. I touched it up and the next time I pull the rear wheel for a tire change I'm going to clean the underside up and undercoat it.

Hate to disagree with you but my previous Honda had metal fenders front and rear. As for the paint chipping from rocks not a single one. The paint just started bubbling on the top sides of the front and rear fenders. According to my dealer this is a know problem and has been happening on all the HD models since 06 when they changed the paint process from a solvent to a water based process. You have to fight HD to get them to do the warranty work, as there policy is any rust and/or bubbling that shows up on the bike is due to owners failure to properly maintain the bike which I was told included but not limited to cleaning the bike, proper storage, and not operating bike in bad weather. As I told them I can understand the cheesy chrome plated spokes rusting as soon as I purchased the bike but there should be not issues with painted pieces on a less than 2 year old bike.

Will give HD props for not just replacing the fenders with new ones. But having them sent to a proper repair facility that strip them, properly clean, primed and then repainted.

Back