free website stats program paint issues | Harley Davidson Forums

paint issues

cromwell

RANT on.
OK am a little (EDIT) off the paint on my front fender is bubbling and on the rear fender it is coming away from the metal like the metal was never prepared for paint. Now my bike is still under warranty and the dealer told me flat out that rust does not fall under warranty. Now I can understand the spokes and chrome items being hard to keep from rusting. But painted parts should not be an issue. Even the Mechanic told me that this is an issue will all HD models since they changed the paint process to use some kind of water based product with the 06 model. So now I am in a battle to get my fenders taken care of with the dealer and MOCO. How is it that a rice rocket that is never taken care of has no issues with paint but my HD that is was and taken care of is having issues. If not taken care of it looks like I will be dismantling a new bike to get all painted parts blasted, prepared and painted correctly.

Rant off

Tony

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
my old suzuki bandit (second bike for day to day bad weather winter etc ) owned 7 years parked outside no paint problem. tiny spot of rust on chrome that was hard to reach spot on headstock nut. bouight new £5500.makes you think..........

Your dealer says rust is not covered, but you believe it's preparation. I think you need to make some phone calls to HD customer service to get satisfaction.

I had issues like this with new sheet metal after my bike was hit last year and The MOCO will not stand behind it:(

Dealer informed me today that they need the bike back so they can take pictures and send them to the MOCO. I was told that there is like a 2% chance the MOCO will warranty this. Otherwise I am (EDIT) . So I am looking to see what it will cost to powder coat and also getting them properly repainted in the standard HD vivid black color.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Dealer informed me today that they need the bike back so they can take pictures and send them to the MOCO. I was told that there is like a 2% chance the MOCO will warranty this. Otherwise I am (EDIT) . So I am looking to see what it will cost to powder coat and also getting them properly repainted in the standard HD vivid black color.

Stand your ground Im not done with The MOCO yet:s

I know after 2006 the paint process changed I can tell you that when my friends that bought their bikes after 06 had problems with rust on the rear and front fenders on the rear it was under the tail lamp ane the front on the top fender. the dealer coverd them with the warranty.

Almost the same places on mine. Lower part of the rear fender below the tail lamp. Almost an inch of paint on the lower rear fender is completely gone and the remain paint can be lifted up off the metal with a corner of a sheet of paper and you can see the paint move all the way to the lamp. As for the front the bubbling starts at the lower rear and works its way up to where the fender is riveted together. After talking to the dealer yesterday, they WILL NOT REPLACE THEM... I was shown the warranty repair process that the MOCO requires of them and this is going to be interesting. First step was for them to take pictures and send them to the USA for evaluation. If approved then they have to send pics to the authorized repair company in the UK to determine if the cost of the shipping the fender and repainting them are cost effective. If not than it goes back to the MOCO to determine IF they will allow a local paint shop to do the repair. Again I was told that the MOCO WILL NOT REPLACE THEM as their policy is rust is caused by operator error in not properly maintaining the bike. This is something I do not expect to happen on a bike less than 2 years old let alone on something that cost more than $10K.

The bubbling you describe is an adhesion problem.It may have rust now because of water getting between the paint and the metal.Take it to a well known body shop and have them write an evaluation then take a copy of that to the dealer and email one to the MOCO customer service in the US.
If you are persistant you will get satisfaction.I will venture to say I don't beleive they would be giving you this much grief on this side of the pond.
Maybe your dealer isn't doing his job???
When you get your evaluation post it here along with pics,then show this thread to the dealer and let him know that your problem is being followed closely in many countries!:D

Steve, my bike was wrecked last year , they put a new tank on, the paint under the gas cap is peeling, my fault they said and the bottom edge of the rear fender is blistered my fault they said from riding in the rain LOL, im not done with them yet

Finally after all most 2 months of hounding I will be getting the paint repaired under warranty. Now all I have to do is drop her off and plan to be with out the bike for a minimum of at least a month. I need to find out if they do loaner bikes will mine is in the shop? Guess that will have to wait until the dealer opens up on Tuesday (they are closed on Sun-Mon).

Back