free website stats program Paint Flaking off of starters on 09 Glides! | Harley Davidson Forums

Paint Flaking off of starters on 09 Glides!

09GLDR

Hey all, just a FYI, I noticed the black paint flaking off of my starter on my new glide so I took it to the "stealership" where I bought it. And it wasn't the first one to come in with the same problem. Right now the MOCO is telling them to touch it up with some Harley Wrinkle blk paint, my tech did just that and decided on his own that it looked horrible so he removed the starter and painted the whole thing. It looked better that "touching it up" but I still don't like it and neither does the service manager there, so he's bringing a rep. down next week to look at the starters and what their doing to them. I'll keep ya's posted on what happens but I went ahead and had him credit me a new starter and paid the difference for a chrome one. Just some info. I thought i'd pass on! It may be happening on different models, but he mentioned just 09 Glides when I was there.

Nice touch going to a chrome one and it's nice they worked with you with a credit towards the chrome unit too.

It was cool of them, this was the third Harley i've purchased from them (not to mention the amount of money i spent with them on this last build) they do take care of their customers. When you spend the kind of money we all do on a vehicle we can't haul groceries on it's nice to be remebered by name after the sale.

Hey 09,

I live just across the river and will be buying a 2010 either this fall or next spring and I'm still trying to locate a GOOD dealer to work with, who do you go to?

Gateway Harley Davidson in south county, Talk to Jay or Joe, good people! And this store has a sister store in IL. called DALE'S i've never been there, I think it in Mount Vernon.

Hey 09,

I live just across the river and will be buying a 2010 either this fall or next spring and I'm still trying to locate a GOOD dealer to work with, who do you go to?

Last edited:
I have an 09 Road Glide. It is my first Harley-Davidson. I'm coming from the Gold Wing world where the motor is basically covered. I'm also not the most mechanically minded.

Can someone post a picture showing what the starter looks like on an 09 touring bike. I'd like to keep an eye on mine for the flaking off. Thanks.

Hello 09gldr , in the 09 maintenance manual in the starter section their is a notation about possible chiping paint on the starter when removing or installing the unit. Hd / old school

Hello 09gldr , in the 09 maintenance manual in the starter section their is a notation about possible chiping paint on the starter when removing or installing the unit. Hd / old school

So it could have been done when being assembled in the factory? only have 2500 miles on it and I never removed it or really touched it.

I have an 09 Road Glide. It is my first Harley-Davidson. I'm coming from the Gold Wing world where the motor is basically covered. I'm also not the most mechanically minded.

Can someone post a picture showing what the starter looks like on an 09 touring bike. I'd like to keep an eye on mine for the flaking off. Thanks.

Hey Jim B. its located behind the rear cylinder, heres a pic.

Copy of Starter Pics 001.jpg

and welcome to the world of HD's

Last edited by a moderator:
09GLDR, thanks for the picture and for the welcome. I now know where to look and I love my bike. I should have bought a Harley years ago. And I am learning that the cost of the bike is just the "down payment" on all the goodies that come after buying the bike.

i just notice my starter doing the same thing i will bring it back this week
what did they charge you for the chrome starter ????? my 09 ultra has 4000 miles on it

Back