free website stats program Paint Failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Paint Failure

DrBro

I pulled the cover off to take a Saturday ride and noticed a strange mark appear on the back of my bags. Pulled it out in the sunlight and noticed it looked like a dirty rag had wiped my bags. Upon further inspection, it is beneath the clear coat and it is appearing all over the bike. After the ride I dropped it off at the dealer, they confirmed it right away. It ws the first 2011 CVO in Houston and I got her in August. There were no signs of this until recently. Has anyone else had paint issues like this? I am out of the country for a bit, but am anxious to hear what they say??????:(

I was watching a movie on U-Tube of a Genuine Tour (~35 minutes) inside a Harley Davidson manufacturing plant (not year 2010). I did not know that this was even possible but the tour guide gets to the paint shop and says the clear coat on these bikes is actually Clear Powder Coat over a sprayed base coat.

Even though a factory rep (Tour Guide) said it, I still don't really believe it. 400 degrees of clear over a base spray coat? I would have to see that to believe it.

DrBro, I bet the problem goes back to the "friendly" paints they are now using.
Hope you get it straighten out.

I am waiting to get home from China to see what the dealer says about the paint, but I am surprised no one else on the forum has ever had a clear coat issue????

I must have gotten a good one 'cause my '09 flame blue pearl RKC is superb! I've had more compliments on that paint job to try and count. :worthy

Most of the paint jobs are in fact Good as far as appearance. But from what I have heard & read, it really seems like a primer issue. The paints will blister & peel. So far I have not had that happen to my 2009. But the day is not over yet! :)

Well the dealership has been very understanding, but the problem has gotten mysterious. I picked it up waiting for the regional rep and over the last week, it has slowly healed itself! I know where the spots are, and they are now not noticable? Maybe I am lucky and it was just a bleed through that needed to cure, but not likely......

I have a very similar problem on a 2010 Streetglide. I first noticed a few pin head sized "cloudy" spots on the front fairing that looked like dirty water spots, but were underneath the clear coat. Over the course of the season they multiplied and spread over an approximate 8" by 4" area. A dealer in my area took a look and confirmed it was a problem - not environmental, and has told me it will be covered under warranty. I have not found any similar spots anywhere else on the bike.

Back